Github conflicts

Source code related resources

Moderator: Rathinagiri

kcarmody

Github conflicts

Post by kcarmody »

A few weeks ago, I developed some enhancements to MonthCalendar, Grid, and IsVista(), as described here: http://hmgforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6607

I put these into an fork https://github.com/kcarmody/HMG of the main HMG Github source https://github.com/HMG-Official/, and submitted a pull request https://github.com/HMG-Official/HMG/pull/2 .

When I submitted this pull request, Github said there were no conflicts with the master, but now it is saying that there are conflicts in 4 files. It appears that these conflicts are a result of merging some changes from another pull request that preceded mine, from a user named asistex.

Most of the changes from that pull request were labeled "removed ending spces" or "Update <filename>". I checked a few of these changes and found that this project had not only removed spaces from ends of lines, but also removed variables that were declared but never used, and removed variable initializations that were not needed. Every file in SOURCE was changed.

I'm not sure why these changes were all made, as they do not affect any features and have almost no effect on performance. But in any event, they have made it harder to merge my code into the main HMG code. My code adds several new features.

I notice that the merge from asistex's code was done on 23 October, and no action has yet been taken on my code, which is next in line. I have a question for whoever does the merging. Will you go ahead and merge my code in the HMG master, or are you waiting for me to resolve the conflicts?
Carlos Britos

Re: Github conflicts

Post by Carlos Britos »

Hi kcarmody

I am Carlos from asistex

I am not an expert in git or github.

My first commit was on 2020/07/21 and then the pull request.
The second commit was on 2020/07/25.

What was done:
1- remove the blanks spaces at the end of each line.
2- formatting the functions name of harbour to CamelCase.
3- remove the harbour warnings with the -w3 switch.

following the directives of the harbour itself.
For example the source code:
This file has conflict with your commit

SOURCE/h_monthcal.prg

this line

Code: Select all

Local cParentForm , mVar , k := 0
was changed to this

Local cParentForm , mVar , k
That kind of warnings were over 500 in the hmg prg sources.
When I submitted this pull request, Github said there were no conflicts with the master, but now it is saying that there are conflicts in 4 files. It appears that these conflicts are a result of merging some changes from another pull request that preceded mine, from a user named asistex.
That was because my first pull request was not added at that moment. Once the first pull request was merged then appears the conflict.

Before making a commit - pull resquest you should make a pull to get the latest changes. Perhaps the delay in merged the first pull request may have caused some kind of problem. However, conflicts should be resolved before the commit.
I notice that the merge from asistex's code was done on 23 October, and no action has yet been taken on my code, which is next in line. I have a question for whoever does the merging. Will you go ahead and merge my code in the HMG master, or are you waiting for me to resolve the conflicts?
In my opinion there should be a clear directive from the hmg team to handle all these situations.

Beyond all this I will stop the commits (there is still some pull request pending) until I have more information.

Carlos
Regards/Saludos, Carlos (bcd12a)
kcarmody

Post by kcarmody »

Carlos Britos wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:48 pm My first commit was on 2020/07/21 and then the pull request.
The second commit was on 2020/07/25.

What was done:
1- remove the blanks spaces at the end of each line.
2- formatting the functions name of harbour to CamelCase.
3- remove the harbour warnings with the -w3 switch.

following the directives of the harbour itself.
For example the source code:
This file has conflict with your commit

SOURCE/h_monthcal.prg

this line

Local cParentForm , mVar , k := 0
was changed to this

Local cParentForm , mVar , k
That kind of warnings were over 500 in the hmg prg sources.
Hi Carlos,

Thank you for your reply.

I was aware of what you had done by comparing your code to the original 3.4.4 code. "Removing Harbour warnings" from the -w3 switch meant that you removed assignments to variables that were never used, and you removed initializations that were unneeded because they were overridden by later assignments.
Before making a commit - pull resquest you should make a pull to get the latest changes. Perhaps the delay in merged the first pull request may have caused some kind of problem. However, conflicts should be resolved before the commit.
That's very good advice. In this case, I did not do that, since, at least initially, you had labeled your changes as "removed spaces at EOLs". This led me to think there would be no conflicts with my work. The conflicts arose because you also removed many assignments, which I did not discover until your changes had been merged. Therefore, I ask you in future to try to make your labels describe what you actually did.
In my opinion there should be a clear directive from the hmg team to handle all these situations.
I agree, and I hope we will hear from them about this. In this case, there was a delay of 3 months from the date of your commit to the merge into the HMG master. Pull requests should never be left pending that long. They should be merged, deleted, or discussed promptly. For discussion, we have this forum :)
Beyond all this I will stop the commits (there is still some pull request pending) until I have more information.
Thank you.

Kevin
apais
DBs Used: DBF

Post by apais »

That's what I'm saying.
HMG guardians are totally ignorant about GitHub issues.
You can't be a project leader if you don't know about collaborative tools.
It's time whether they learn GitHub to keep up to date, or pass the torch.
Otherwise HMG is in fact dead.

Just my not important oppinion.
Angel Pais
Web Apps consultant/architect/developer.
Rathinagiri
DBs Used: MariaDB, SQLite, SQLCipher and MySQL

Post by Rathinagiri »

kcarmody wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:36 pm A few weeks ago, I developed some enhancements to MonthCalendar, Grid, and IsVista(), as described here: http://hmgforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6607

I put these into an fork https://github.com/kcarmody/HMG of the main HMG Github source https://github.com/HMG-Official/, and submitted a pull request https://github.com/HMG-Official/HMG/pull/2 .

Most of the changes from that pull request were labeled "removed ending spces" or "Update <filename>". I checked a few of these changes and found that this project had not only removed spaces from ends of lines, but also removed variables that were declared but never used, and removed variable initializations that were not needed. Every file in SOURCE was changed.

I'm not sure why these changes were all made, as they do not affect any features and have almost no effect on performance. But in any event, they have made it harder to merge my code into the main HMG code. My code adds several new features.

Hi,

I am sorry. I think, I am the sole reason for this conflict.

I am new to GitHub. I am learning.

Let me try to solve.
East or West HMG is the Best.
South or North HMG is worth.
...the possibilities are endless.
Rathinagiri

Post by Rathinagiri »

apais wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:00 pm That's what I'm saying.
HMG guardians are totally ignorant about GitHub issues.
You can't be a project leader if you don't know about collaborative tools.
It's time whether they learn GitHub to keep up to date, or pass the torch.
Otherwise HMG is in fact dead.

Just my not important oppinion.
That is right.

I invite people who are willing to contribute and upkeep the project. Please PM me.
AUGE_OHR
DBs Used: DBF, PostgreSQL, MySQL, SQLite

Post by AUGE_OHR »

hi,

i´m also Newbie and try to use GitHub but i still must learn how to use it.
i´m willing to work on it and this Year HMG start again using GitHub.

it just takes a little while for the whole thing to start rolling.
have fun
Jimmy
kcarmody

Post by kcarmody »

Rathinagiri wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:13 am I am new to GitHub. I am learning.

Let me try to solve.
AUGE_OHR wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:57 am i´m also Newbie and try to use GitHub but i still must learn how to use it.

Yes, it certainly does take some time to learn Github. Most of the documentation is not very good, or tries to take you through a long process of learning commands rather than offering an easy to use interface. I spent quite a few frustrating days trying to deal with these obstacles.

Finally I found SourceTree, which I recommend to everyone using Github -- https://www.sourcetreeapp.com/. SourceTree also has the best documentation about the whole Github -- https://www.atlassian.com/git/tutorials ... cket-cloud .
Rathinagiri

Post by Rathinagiri »

kcarmody wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:36 am
Rathinagiri wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:13 am I am new to GitHub. I am learning.

Let me try to solve.
AUGE_OHR wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:57 am i´m also Newbie and try to use GitHub but i still must learn how to use it.

Yes, it certainly does take some time to learn Github. Most of the documentation is not very good, or tries to take you through a long process of learning commands rather than offering an easy to use interface. I spent quite a few frustrating days trying to deal with these obstacles.

Finally I found SourceTree, which I recommend to everyone using Github -- https://www.sourcetreeapp.com/. SourceTree also has the best documentation about the whole Github -- https://www.atlassian.com/git/tutorials ... cket-cloud .
Can you please tell me how to resolve the present conflict in nutshell? What should I do?
kcarmody

Post by kcarmody »

Rathinagiri wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:26 pmCan you please tell me how to resolve the present conflict in nutshell? What should I do?
Because I'm very familiar with the changes I proposed, and because the situation in Github has become rather complex, I think that I should withdraw my pull request, start over from the current merged version, and submit a new pull request later that incorporates the current version. Then you will not have to worry about the current conflicts.

Besides, I have more changes now than before, and I will have to submit those changes later anyway.

So you can forget my current proposal.

Kevin