Missing Browse Samples

HMG Samples and Enhancements

Moderator: Rathinagiri

Zimbo

Missing Browse Samples

Post by Zimbo »

Hello. I hope I have missed something very simple but I cannot find any samples for BROWSE. I have seen other posts saying to look at c:\hmg\samples\browse_x (x = 1 to 5)...

When I look at c:\hmg.3.4.4\samples\ I cannot find any samples for browse. There is one

I am trying to learn how to use browse but need to refer to a sample that uses a DBF. Anyone able to point me to a simple, clear example?

Thanks!

Z
ljubacirovic
DBs Used: DBF, MySQL, MS Access, MS SQL

Re: Missing Browse Samples

Post by ljubacirovic »

Hi Zimbo,

As I understood you, you are interested in the command BROWSE. As I can tell, this is a deprecated Clipper command, replaced by dbedit() function in Clipper 5.x and Browse() function in Harbour implementation.
You can find detailed explanations and simple examples for both functions in the help file installed with HMG IDE (file:///C:/hmg.3.4.4/doc/data/index.htm), under the branch "External Guides and Tutorials - Harbour Reference - Clipper 5.3 index".
I hope this helps.
EduardoLuis

Post by EduardoLuis »

Hi Zimbo:

I don't know why but browses were not included on samples since several versions.-
I atach a zip file with a colection of browses samples.-
Browse command is still in use for long number of record in a dbf.-
Grid is similar but recommended for use with virtual multidimentional arrays.
Hope these helps you.
With regards.
Eduardo
Attachments
browses.zip
(180.67 KiB) Downloaded 230 times
dragancesu
DBs Used: DBF, MySQL, Oracle

Post by dragancesu »

Look at topic http://hmgforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3249

There you will find my attempt to do something to ease programming, and HMG was new to me and it was not easy, it takes time

If you have the will to see how others are doing, download the HMGCASE program and other, it have icons and instructions

It will make it easier for you to have a data dictionary, create a form, with one or two linked tables, reports, menus, and more

In attachment you have little demo program
Attachments
demo.zip
(59.73 KiB) Downloaded 181 times
Zimbo

Post by Zimbo »

Thank you for the replies and examples! I think I understand now and I have been able to get a browse control up and running. I have also been looking through numerous other posts for more information on Browse and grid.

What I was looking at was using the browse control to display certain fields contained within records held in a DBF file. I understand that this is preferable over GRID where a DBF contains a large number of records.

The GRID control can be used on a DBF but if I am right, this starts to suffer performance problems when a large number of records are in a DBF.

I am simply learning how to use both GRID and BROWSE - I know they do broadly similar things BUT GRID is preferred unless the DBF contains a lot of records?

Thank you all for your help and input. I appreciate the help!
mustafa
DBs Used: DBF

Post by mustafa »

Hola amigo Zimbo
Si quieres experimentar con Browse, aquí tienes un sample
http://www.hmgforum.com/viewtopic.php?f ... afa#p55405
"DBF_Sample_WebCam.zip"

Haber si te puede servir, tienes las opciones básicas
de Nuevo, Cambio,Borrar, Listados Impresora etc.

Saludos
Mustafa

*----------------------------------- Google --------------------------------------*
Hello friend Zimbo
If you want to experiment with Browse, here is a sample
http://www.hmgforum.com/viewtopic.php?f ... afa#p55405
"DBF_Sample_WebCam.zip"

If you can serve, you have the basic options
New, Change, Delete, Listings Printer etc.

Regards
Mustafa
andyglezl

Post by andyglezl »

The GRID control can be used on a DBF but if I am right, this starts to suffer performance problems when a large number of records are in a DBF.

Thank you all for your help and input. I appreciate the help!
Quizá esto te sirva...
*------------------------------
Maybe this will help ...

http://www.hmgforum.com/viewtopic.php?f ... ock#p45910
Andrés González López
Desde Guadalajara, Jalisco. México.
dragancesu
DBs Used: DBF, MySQL, Oracle

Post by dragancesu »

Welcome to the HMG club

and I used the clippers, it's nice to do it, but it has limitations. I believe that's the case with you
The clippers are good, but you have one defined screen and you're doing everything there, but the windows screen uses a little bit differently so you have to adjust it
You have objects (controls) in your program but also in the rest, and that's all Windows watches and processes
It requires that each control defines what it looks like and what to do when it clicks
Everything is equal, it's up to you to use that one you like
BROWSE or GRID, the question is now? When I work with dbf then I get better (faster) browse, when working with arrays, then the grid

Try it and see what's right for you