HMG Reference (hosted here at Forum)

Utilities like DBU, Make, IDE written in HMG/ used to create HMG based applications

Moderator: Rathinagiri

Pablo César

Post by Pablo César »

I have recently know some users have difficulties to find examples in our SAMPLES folder.

The new folder SAMPLES structuring was with the inttention to be similar according to our HMG Reference.

I saw a very good practice from Claudio Soto (as many from him) when he adds a new resources and edit his own doc. And he makes at HMG Reference with some source codes examples in it. Which is very useful (see picture below):
Screen3.PNG
Screen3.PNG (37.63 KiB) Viewed 4535 times
So I think we could add (at end of page) some more URLs appointing others examples which will gives more fast results in our searching info. This URLs could made one appointing the message of source code in the forum and also goes along with other URL for download of sources examples. In this way, we will have the usage info (syntax) and access of other similar cases for that each item.
HMGing a better world
"Matter tells space how to curve, space tells matter how to move."
Albert Einstein
Clip2Mania

Re: HMG Reference (hosted here at Forum)

Post by Clip2Mania »

+1

In favor of having brief examples at the bottom of the topic (as it was in the good 'ol Norton Guides :) !)
As 'a picture paints a thousand words' an example on how/where to use often often says more than the explanation!

A .htm version of the help-file would also be very appreciated (because you can search in it!). I found (an old one) in a distribution of notepad++ and it has helped me a lot.

Erik
Pablo César

Post by Pablo César »

Clip2Mania wrote:In favor of having brief examples at the bottom of the topic (as it was in the good 'ol Norton Guides !)
As 'a picture paints a thousand words' an example on how/where to use often often says more than the explanation!
Thank you Erik to show your interest in this matter.
Clip2Mania wrote:A .htm version of the help-file would also be very appreciated (because you can search in it!). I found (an old one) in a distribution of notepad++ and it has helped me a lot.
The HMG Reference is composed by several htm files. The main problem to implement a search function option becomes quite impossible, I guess. You said you make search by key words thru a plug in Notepad++ and I believe this you do in local not hosted. It doesn't it ? I means, when you have in your computer (in the DOC folder) it is easier to search by any app which locates files or folders in the file system and directory tree. But I do not know how to do it when hosted.

The suggestion to add brief examples at the bottom of the topic re-editing htm files in DOC of HMG Reference, could also give us a chance to remove these brief examples from SAMPLES folder in the HMG directory. I do not know if this could give us benefit of freeing more space for more elaborated examples.

Adding URL for others examples which have bond with the main of each topic could also bring us more options online. Imagining that all current DEMO in SAMPLES folder in which there can be hosted on this site here in the forum. And such point URL for each example you will make preview of the code and with the option to show a link for downloading the package.

In attached is one demo of label syntax in htm for DOC (orange backcolor text added):
Demo of Label.rar
(4.63 KiB) Downloaded 243 times
Another important point, is to detect "new" samples when is added. This "new" designed description should be added at title in every HMG release when is new.
HMGing a better world
Albert Einstein
Clip2Mania

Post by Clip2Mania »

You said you make search by key words thru a plug in Notepad++ and I believe this you do in local not hosted. It doesn't it ? I means, when you have in your computer (in the DOC folder) it is easier to search by any app which locates files or folders in the file system and directory tree.
I found a version of Notepad++ somewhere on this forum (can't find the link anymore), and that distribution contained file attached. Don't know who compiled it :?
Attachments
hmg_help.zip
(182.75 KiB) Downloaded 251 times
Pablo César

Post by Pablo César »

ohh yes Erik, I have done some tips for Notepad++ and I see your chm file.

I know (also from one topic here in the forum) that relates some difficulties to open chm files at WIN7.

I would like to find a solution for both cases: local and hosted for HMG Reference.

I do not know if you have understood, we can use HMG Reference at:

hmgdoc/data/index.htm (this is hosted at forum)

and

file:///C:/hmg.3.3.1/DOC/hmgdoc.htm (this is in your PC)

So my concern is also to find a way to add a search engine. Give a look at C:\hmg.3.3.1\DOC\data are so many files to make a word search. And this chm I do not know if can be hosted ans executed, I think is to heavy.
HMGing a better world
Albert Einstein
Clip2Mania

Post by Clip2Mania »

I'm running the above .chm on a Win7 32bit Professional with no problem.
If it does not run (mostly security reasons), you should run the utility attached to register.

But maybe I found a solution:
http://www.marinas-gui.org/projects/harbour_manual/
Don't know if you can make this run offline...
Attachments
hhreg.zip
(372.56 KiB) Downloaded 241 times
Pablo César

Post by Pablo César »

Thank you Erik for your help.
HMGing a better world
Albert Einstein