HMG & Report Manager

HMG Samples and Enhancements

Moderator: Rathinagiri

Roberto Lopez
HMG Founder

Re: HMG & Report Manager

Post by Roberto Lopez »

rathinagiri wrote: I had first used the ReportMan.ocx as an activeX control and satisfied with the operations. But, we have to install the ReportMan.ocx in c:\windows\system32 directory with the command "regsvr32 Reportman.ocx"
Then, as suggested in the site, I had created libreportman.a with the help of impdef and dlltool utilities. I had created demo file for HMG and found it working. (I don't know why the program crashes when we cancel preview/print button. Otherwise it works nice. I am sure 'C' Gurus in the forum can easily solve this.)
I confirm the GPF in demo.prg, but your C code looks good.

Anyway, I'm sure that something is wrong, because (as I've posted previously) the program requires the ocx, even when it should not happen (if you delete/unregister the ocx, Windows tell you that the it is missing).

The second program (demo_ocx.prg) works fine. The only problem to me is the need to create the datasource 'by hand'. I guess that there is some way to automate this but I don't know it.

The other problem, is the need to use a SQL query. This could be problematic for some users.

Despite that, it is a good alternative.

Regards,

Roberto.
Regards/Saludos,

Roberto

(Veritas Filia Temporis)
Roberto Lopez
HMG Founder

Post by Roberto Lopez »

Roberto Lopez wrote: Anyway, I'm sure that something is wrong, because (as I've posted previously) the program requires the ocx, even when it should not happen (if you delete/unregister the ocx, Windows tell you that the it is missing).
I've read the documentation and analyzed the code again and my understanding is that OCX IS ALWAYS NEEDED, even if you are using the import library 'libreportman.a'. The only 'benefit' by linking this lib is that you can access OCX via functions, instead using the Activex interface, but this has sense only when your languiage has no Activex support. Since that HMG has, the use of the import library is not necessary.

It stills being an interesting choice fro HMG users, but IMHO, the need to create datasources at report creation and execution, is a complication that is not inline with HMG style/spirit.

Regards,

Roberto.
Regards/Saludos,

Roberto

(Veritas Filia Temporis)
Roberto Lopez
HMG Founder

Post by Roberto Lopez »

Roberto Lopez wrote: It stills being an interesting choice fro HMG users, but IMHO, the need to create datasources at report creation and execution, is a complication that is not inline with HMG style/spirit.
The code on this article http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;e ... 407&y=-112 could be adapted to work on HMG and report manager. Anyway the existence of the datasource and its creation should be managed prior to each report execution.

Regards,

Roberto.
Regards/Saludos,

Roberto

(Veritas Filia Temporis)
Rathinagiri
DBs Used: MariaDB, SQLite, SQLCipher and MySQL

Post by Rathinagiri »

Thanks a lot for the time devoted and in-depth review Roberto.

As you had rightly pointed out, it may be a nice alternative, if we can automatically set the datasource and the report details without any user intervention.

Thanks again.
East or West HMG is the Best.
South or North HMG is worth.
...the possibilities are endless.
Roberto Lopez
HMG Founder

Post by Roberto Lopez »

rathinagiri wrote: As you had rightly pointed out, it may be a nice alternative, if we can automatically set the datasource and the report details without any user intervention.
Yes, but even in such case, you will not be able to work in the usual way. You can't use filters, indexes, relations, etc. You should create a special table for report use prior to execute it.

Any ideas to overcome that are welcome.

Regards,

Roberto.
Regards/Saludos,

Roberto

(Veritas Filia Temporis)
fchirico

Post by fchirico »

Roberto Lopez wrote: Yes, but even in such case, you will not be able to work in the usual way. You can't use filters, indexes, relations, etc. You should create a special table for report use prior to execute it.

Roberto.
SPANISH
Roberto, no tengo en este momento en mi PC el Report Manager, pero cuando lo testee recuerdo haber hecho una prueba donde solo habría ( invocaba ) una DBF y luego por SQL hacía JOIN con otra y también filtraba, ordenaba y agrupaba. Esto no es posible pasarlo como parámetro?

Saludos y perdón si no entendí el punto de discución.

Saludos, Fernando Chirico.

ENGLISH
Roberto, I have now in my PC the Report Manager, but when I remember what I was trying just a DBF invoked and then did SQL "JOIN" with another and also filtered, ordered and grouped. This is not possible to pass it as parameter?

Greetings and sorry if I did not understand the point of discussion.

Fernando Chirico.
Roberto Lopez
HMG Founder

Post by Roberto Lopez »

fchirico wrote:
Roberto Lopez wrote: Yes, but even in such case, you will not be able to work in the usual way. You can't use filters, indexes, relations, etc. You should create a special table for report use prior to execute it.

Roberto.
SPANISH
Roberto, no tengo en este momento en mi PC el Report Manager, pero cuando lo testee recuerdo haber hecho una prueba donde solo habría ( invocaba ) una DBF y luego por SQL hacía JOIN con otra y también filtraba, ordenaba y agrupaba. Esto no es posible pasarlo como parámetro?

Saludos y perdón si no entendí el punto de discución.

ENGLISH
Roberto, I have now in my PC the Report Manager, but when I remember what I was trying just a DBF invoked and then did SQL "JOIN" with another and also filtered, ordered and grouped. This is not possible to pass it as parameter?

Greetings and sorry if I did not understand the point of discussion.

Fernando Chirico.
I don't know. I've not tested so deeply yet.

Regards,

Roberto.
Regards/Saludos,

Roberto

(Veritas Filia Temporis)
Rathinagiri
DBs Used: MariaDB, SQLite, SQLCipher and MySQL

Post by Rathinagiri »

Sorry, me too had not tested. I had tested with MySQL query and a single dbf.
East or West HMG is the Best.
South or North HMG is worth.
...the possibilities are endless.
fchirico

Post by fchirico »

rathinagiri wrote:Sorry, me too had not tested. I had tested with MySQL query and a single dbf.

Tonight I attached a PrintScreen to understand what I say.

Regards, Fernando Chircio.
fchirico

Post by fchirico »

fchirico wrote:
rathinagiri wrote:Sorry, me too had not tested. I had tested with MySQL query and a single dbf.

Tonight I attached a PrintScreen to understand what I say.

Regards, Fernando Chircio.
Aquí les adjunto la pantalla donde les muestro que con solo declarar una DBF, por medio de una sentencia SQL (definida en la ventana activa) puedo hacer filtros (WHERE), JOINs con otras DBFs y "ORDER BY".
Es decir que pareciera que con solo definir una DBF se puede obtener datos de otras DBF sin estar definidas en el menú "Informe", " Configuracion de datos".
Si uno pudiese pasar los datos de esta sentencia SQL y el de la DBF que parece ser necesario declarar...

[img]
Report_Manager.JPG
Report_Manager.JPG (150.7 KiB) Viewed 4991 times
[/img]

Hay que seguir investigando...