How To Help Clipper & Foxpro Users Catch Harbour-HMG ASAP!

Topic Specific Tutorials and Tips.

Moderator: Rathinagiri

Javier Tovar

Re: How To Help Clipper & Foxpro Users Catch Harbour-HMG ASA

Post by Javier Tovar »

Hi Agile,

It's good to inform HMG in the world and you are putting your bit right!. :)

Now we HMG platicare my experience, I assisted my father started doing the demos that come in HMG, and doubts arising commented here on the forum and has paid me !!!, before long, I think that desembolvi me very well and fast and could do a proper application !, I did not know anything about programming and I think soon I understood, and as you have said that you know Clipper, then there is no reason to stop, as in Clipper version 5.2, and 5.3, was beginning to use controls like CheckBox, RadioButtons, Buttons, ... Mouse Events. I think it's just practice with examples to understand how it works!

greetings
Rathinagiri
DBs Used: MariaDB, SQLite, SQLCipher and MySQL

Post by Rathinagiri »

...continuation to my previous post...

People (at least me) sometimes misunderstand GUI and OOP as one and the same. GUI and OOP are different and independent to each other. GUI can be made to work with or without OOP and vice versa. HMG is based on Win32 API system. Win32 API system works on handles and hooks. Every window/control in HMG is provided with a handle (like the file handle in clipper) and events are hooked on that particular handle. Once any hooked event is fired by the user (say a click of a button) immediately Win32 API searches for a CallBack function which is provided by the developer via HMG. The beauty of HMG would be, the developer is made free from handling all these internal affairs, handles, hooks and callback procedures. Instead he can concentrate on what is to be done if the event is fired.

You will be astonished to see how a 'define window' statement in HMG invokes 100s of lines of Harbour and C code. Please see the source folder of HMG if you want to know in detail.

Again, the advantage of HMG is, you need not include any dlls with your executable code as it is based on Win32 API. The application would run in XP to Windows version 8 (even in Windows 97 some cases).

... will continue.
East or West HMG is the Best.
South or North HMG is worth.
...the possibilities are endless.
esgici
DBs Used: DBF

Post by esgici »

Rathinagiri wrote:...continuation to my previous post...
Thanks Mr. Rathinagiri,

very good and informative :arrow:
... will continue.
we will wait eagerly ...

Regards
Viva INTERNATIONAL HMG :D
Agil Abdullah

Post by Agil Abdullah »

Awaiting more important info from Mr.Rathinagiri to include in my HMG TUTORIAL #01 for Indonesian for beginners to install and see demo and learn to build sources of demo .
Agil Abdullah Albatati (just call me Agil)
Programmer Never Surrender
Agil Abdullah

Post by Agil Abdullah »

Javier Tovar said
It's good to inform HMG in the world and you are putting your bit right!
Thanks for your support. I've done this today. My first HMG Tutorial 01 In Indonesia;

01-HMG Tutorial In Indonesia
Javier Tovar

Post by Javier Tovar »

Hola Agil,

En verdad lo felicito por su Blogg, muy bueno y útil!

Siga adelante y ampliando la fama de HMG por el mundo!!!

Saludos
Agil Abdullah

Post by Agil Abdullah »

It's a pity that Kompasiana Blog is doing something wrong:

Every post containing back slash mark "\" goes wrong. For example :

when I write: "d:\hmg331\samples\basics"

it reads: "d:hmg331samplesbasic"

Sorry for this inconvenince, I should send a report to Admin.
Agil Abdullah

Post by Agil Abdullah »

Javier Tovar said:
Hola Agil,

En verdad lo felicito por su Blogg, muy bueno y útil!

Siga adelante y ampliando la fama de HMG por el mundo!!!

Saludos
Google Translate:Hi Agil,

I really congratulate you on your Blog, very good and useful!

Go ahead and expand the reputation of the world HMG !!!

greetings
-------------------------------

Oke Thanks.... Cheers :)
Rathinagiri
DBs Used: MariaDB, SQLite, SQLCipher and MySQL

Post by Rathinagiri »

...continuation to my previous post...

Now coming to your questions.
1) How to get a lot of of source codes containing of samples to handle screen-menus ; from basic up to complex/advanced screen-menus?

To answer this questions, pls help us by showing links which permit us to download. And by sharing your source-code available for public.

Screenshoot attached herein, is a sample screen handle we need to implement on our application, ASAP. Being programmers for long time, we need any advanced skill in order to satisfy our users/clients currently still using our DOS-apps-versions.
You can start with Your HMG Directory\SAMPLES\Basics\TUTORIAL folder. It contains various tutorials for basic programmers. Then you can see basic and controls sub-folders of samples. I don't think that any advanced skill set is required to satisfy our existing DOS clients. Actually ther will be happy to update their programs to Windows version as it is user friendly and more flexible.
2) How to avoid one app/EXE is double-run by users in the same computer? This problem never arise under DOS who own a single window. I noticed when execercising HMG-ID (executing IDE.EXE) to build project, the RUN (F5) function fails to detect the problem. that's way HMG-IDE made runtime error as if the mistake came from source program.
Yes, it is a valid point. In HMG-IDE previous version there was an error marking 'Is the program still running?'. I don't know what happened to that in the recent versions. I will request Claudio to look into this. Thanks for reporting.
3) Why stable version release from official Harbour-Project differ from this forum? The project says the latest stable version is 3.0.0. while this forum says HMG 3.3.1. Any clarification in this matter is urgently needed to avoid confusion.
Because they are entirely different projects. As I have discussed earlier, HMG is based on Harbour. But it is a bundle by itself. Some major implementations have been made after the versions HMG 3.0. Introducing Unicode in 3.1. Made it to a stable version in 3.2. And the latest and significant achievement is HMG in 64 Bits, which made it to 3.3 series.

HMG Extended is also developed and released parallelly and they have their own version numbering system.

IMHO, we can use the latest stable versions for the development.
4) Pls help us describe what the differences between this 3 services you've been provided: Harbour Compiler, Harbour Mini GIU, Harbour-IDE. We need to know exactly when and why use them?
Many thanks for your help. Any contribution in this matter is highly appreciated.
Harbour compiler is the core. Habour MiniGUI is the Win32 wrapper library to access the GUI aspects of the programs. HMG IDE is a tool to develop and build our software in Harbour MiniGUI.

You can use simply Harbour if you need only console mode. If you want GUI support, you can use Harbour MiniGUI and its build.bat ( even without using HMG IDE at all).

If you need Forms Designer and an easy build system, you can use HMG IDE which can co-ordinate your forms, database, resources (icons, pictures etc) and linking other third party libraries.
East or West HMG is the Best.
South or North HMG is worth.
...the possibilities are endless.
esgici
DBs Used: DBF

Post by esgici »

Agil Abdullah wrote: I've done this today. My first HMG Tutorial 01 In Indonesia;
Congrats !

Your are achieved in very short time 8-)

I wish many more successive continuations :arrow:

Thanks to you for adding a link to my humble blog :oops:

Happy HMG'in to you and all Indonesian xBase programmers :D
Viva INTERNATIONAL HMG :D