How To Help Clipper & Foxpro Users Catch Harbour-HMG ASAP!

Topic Specific Tutorials and Tips.

Moderator: Rathinagiri

dhaine_adp

Re: How To Help Clipper & Foxpro Users Catch Harbour-HMG ASAP!

Post by dhaine_adp »

Hi,

This is my approach in learning HMG way back in 2007:

1. I don't go into programming right away. I set aside time to first read HMG manual, how it is organize and how I would quickly cross reference the manual. My goal is to familiarize myself with the documentation so I know where to find them.

2. Then I check how Harbour (without HMG and no third party clipper library), can compile pure Clipper code. Then I wrote code to to test RDD (DBFCDX) from my old application, basically the routine that opened the tables, replaced field contents, seek, delete, array handling, numeric calculation, date calculations. All those are done without data entry screen (because that will be the GUI portion). So when I found out that Harbour can do all those, I am quite sure that I only needed to learn how to manage the GUI portion and learn the technique of interfacing HMG+Harbour. For Harbour reference I used Clipper reference books and the NGs and reading those CHANGELOG.TXT of Harbour, HMG and HMG Extended to at least piece together what's going on and to get an insight and somehow connect to the developers mind (those logs are their first hand account, just like a diary if you will).

3. To learn HMG I used <hmgInstallDir>\SAMPLES\Basics\MAIN_DEMO\DEMO.PRG. Of course if you are looking for something you've needed a demo that showcase everything (at least most of it if not all).

4. On the third week I have my old app reborn in HMG+Harbour, though its not fully bug free but I'd be able to smooth them out later on. The rest is history.

5. Since HMG is an open source and evolving, I/we should understand that there won't be a book like manual anytime soon. So you need to read the include files and the corresponding c and prg module of the library (which became my second HMG reference). You can do this to further enhance your knowledge.

6. Use modular programming as much as possible. Since Clipper days I wrote code in modular way (if possible) so when I moved to HMG I basically change the Text User Interface with GUI or forms. Now the @ SAY commands becomes LABEL and @ GET becomes TEXTBOX plus the COMBOBOX, RADIOGROUP, CHECKBOX, etc.

7. Coding in GUI means to forget about SAVESCREEN() and RESTSCREEN(). You need to have a new paradigm which is event driven. Restrict the user to a form by using modal or even then you can prevent it by attaching procedures to ON RELEASE and ON INTERACTIVECLOSE.

8. HMG Controls resembles VB but not exactly the same. So in essence the key in learning HMG is understanding controls and objects EVENTS and PROPERTIES which is contained in the manual. Those are the points to where you can interface your Clipper knowledge towards Harbour and HMG. Later on if you think that you have the feel of it, then exploit to your advantage.
Regards,

Danny
Manila, Philippines
esgici
DBs Used: DBF

Post by esgici »

dhaine_adp wrote: This is my approach in learning HMG way back in 2007:
Very good lesson for beginners, especially hasty immigrants ;)

Thanks Danny :)

Regards
Viva INTERNATIONAL HMG :D
gfilatov

Post by gfilatov »

dhaine_adp wrote: This is my approach in learning HMG way back in 2007:
Hi Danny,

Thanks for your detailed explanation :!:

It is a right and very productive way :!:
Your way... 8-)
Kind Regards,
Grigory Filatov

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." Albert Einstein
Rathinagiri
DBs Used: MariaDB, SQLite, SQLCipher and MySQL

Post by Rathinagiri »

Wow! It is very systematic Danny! Cool!

Why don't you post this as a first post in a new topic? We can make that topic sticky.
East or West HMG is the Best.
South or North HMG is worth.
...the possibilities are endless.
Javier Tovar

Post by Javier Tovar »

Danny, en verdad lo felicito por ver así la programación Clipper + Harbour + HMG, creo que a me hace falta hacer eso que tu indicas, ver desde el principio de la creación (Clipper) y después como lo retoma Hardbour y con esto ya pasar a HMG! + C, creo que de esa manera podré visualizar como los desarrolladores piensan!

Saludos y un gran abrazo!

P.D.: Esto es un poema!
dhaine_adp

Post by dhaine_adp »

Why don't you post this as a first post in a new topic? We can make that topic sticky.
Done Rathi.
Regards,

Danny
Manila, Philippines
Agil Abdullah

Post by Agil Abdullah »

Now, it's time for me to reply the above gentlements comments. I did intensionally left this post for a week or more to make sure that readers got focused on Dhaine's advice. In general I agree with him, especially in his step to first do exercises with pure HARBOUR without HMG.. This one is very good for ex-clipper programmer to avoid getting shocked; directly go to HMG could have themselves frustrated when they saw their old codes seemed to be totally useless.

Only one thing we differ. I insist that pieces of samples are not enough for beginners to start building a system/program. It's base on my experience: backdate in 1985, I could learn fast to build system/programs for my office after I'd seen full documentation of Finance System made & installed by Mr.Rama Krishnan (senior programmer from India, lived in Australia, in duty to install & train system for 10 companies in 10 countries belonging to Spinneys London).

I believe that "Different experience naturally produces different lesson". That's a beauty of life. Enjoy.

Many-many Thanks to Dhaine, Rathinagiri, Grigory Filatop, Esgici, Javier Tofar.

Oke. Next....!

Again to my Indonesian Friends. For collection of a ready-to-use system/program (although) not complete, you should download this:

1) Sample_Sqlite.zip made by Mustafa from Turkey. He has a good sense of professional look... Enjoy...!
Find it at this page : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1558&start=10

2) HmgEasyBuild made by Dr.Claudio Soto, from Uruguay, author of HMG. You can find it at "Recent Popular". You can learn a lot how handle with files, folder, , paint bitmap, etc. He has a good sense of artistic look. Enjoy...!

Salam Hangat dari Jakarta.

This Topis is dedicated to HMG-Beginners
Agil Abdullah Albatati (just call me Agil)
Programmer Never Surrender
Agil Abdullah

Post by Agil Abdullah »

And now for my Indonesian friend who yesterday sent email asking for reference to Harbour. He said that he was ex-clipper programmer. Once a time he tried to learn Harbour but he failed and leave it for a long time. After reading my recent blog about Harbour-HMG he's interested to restart learning Harbour+HMG.

This's my advice:

1) Go to Harbour-User-Group: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/harbour-users
You will find complete info about Harbour togather with on-line manual of Clipper-5.
After download, you will easily recompile your old codes with Harbour (remember to remove codes from external/third party libs, leave only
pure Clipper codes). From there you will also learn little bits different treatment to [codeblock, macro, array, etc] between Clipper and Harbour.

2) To use new DBU utilities, you may find them at Util-Folder of Harbour MiniGui (HMG Extended Edition). You must download first. There are 3 ready-to-use DBU, each made by Roberto Lopez (author of HMG) from Argentina, Grigory Filatof (author of HMG EE) from Ukrania, Bicahi Esgici from Turkey. You may also find DBU/DBC made by Alexander Kresin from Russia at this forum or directly to his web.

Salam Hangat dari Jakarta.

This Topic is Dedicated to HMG Beginners
Agil Abdullah

Post by Agil Abdullah »

Hi All,

I am very sorry for some mistakes posted above. here are corrections from somebody:

1) Mustafa is from Spain, not Turkiye .

2) Dr. Soto is a developer of HMG, not author.

3) Author of DBU (of HMG) is Rathinagiri from India.

4) You can download DBU, DBA and more from HMGForum, no need go to HMG EE.

5) G. Filatof is one of HMG EE fork-project team.

If you find some mistakes of mine in this forum, pls do not hesitate to make corrections. I am an open man.

Many-many Thanks.
esgici
DBs Used: DBF

Re: How To Help Clipper & Foxpro Users Catch Harbour-HMG ASA

Post by esgici »

Rathinagiri wrote:...continuation to my previous post...
Dear Mr. Rathinagiri,

Would you allow me to publish this post on my humble blog VivaClipper ?

Best regards
Viva INTERNATIONAL HMG :D