How To Help Clipper & Foxpro Users Catch Harbour-HMG ASAP!

Topic Specific Tutorials and Tips.

Moderator: Rathinagiri

Agil Abdullah

Re: How To Help Clipper & Foxpro Users Catch Harbour-HMG ASA

Post by Agil Abdullah »

Hi Clip2Mania,

1) Your link is very clear as to what Modal Window is all about.
From Wikipedia:
In user interface design, a modal window is a graphical control element subordinate to an application's main window which creates a mode where the main window can't be used. The modal window is a child window that requires users to interact with it before they can return to operating the parent application, thus preventing the workflow on the application main window. Modal windows are often called heavy windows or modal dialogs because the window is often used to display a dialog box.
2) Other type of Window/Form (Child, Topmost, SplitChild) still pending to find the accurate description.

3) Your personal opinion is highly appreciated..... Thanks
------------------------------------------------------

Hi Javier Tovar,

Althoug I don't speak/read Spanish, I can feel that your answer is logical and helpful...... Thanks.
Agil Abdullah Albatati (just call me Agil)
Programmer Never Surrender
Agil Abdullah

Post by Agil Abdullah »

Now, Let me share my second HMG Tutorial in my blog (Kompasiana.com, the biggest one in Indonesia).

URL: 02-Tutorial-Programming-HMG-3-3-1
Agil Abdullah

Post by Agil Abdullah »

From my "googling" these descriptions may provide sufficient answer to beginners:

TOPMOST FORM/WINDOW: remarks by Miscrosoft.com

A topmost form is a form that overlaps all the other (non-topmost) forms even if it is not the active or foreground form. Topmost forms are always displayed at the highest point in the z-order of the windows on the desktop. You can use this property to create a form that is always displayed in your application, such as a Find and Replace tool window.

CHILD FORM/WINDOW: From Yahoo Answers:

A child window is always inside a parent window. The difference of the child window from a normal window is.. since it is a child window, you cannot see this window alone.. it is always inside a parent window, and you can't drag a child window out from its parent window. Hope this helps.
mol

Post by mol »

Child window is not bound inside its parent window in HMG.
Modal window is always topmost. Child window can loose focus for another window
Javier Tovar

Post by Javier Tovar »

Hola Agil y Clip2Mania,

Desde el principio que empece a Programar en HMG, consulte la ayuda de Google, pero muchas veces las ventanas no trabajan como uno esperaba, entonces es cuando me pregunto?, de a cuerdo a sus mandatos y propiedades de las ventanas en HMG por que no trabajan como uno espera, entonces viene el acierto y error,... hasta que trabaja como uno espera. A lo mejor es trivial y a lo mejor cuando practique más entendere la diferencia de utilizar una u otra. No hay problema, esta vida es de nunca dejar de aprender.

Saludos :)
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Hello Agil and Clip2Mania,

From the beginning I started to Programming in HMG, see the help of Google, but sometimes windows do not work as you expected, that's when I wonder ?, in concordance with their mandates and window properties in HMG that no work as expected, then comes the trial and error ... until you work out as expected. Maybe it's trivial and maybe understand when playing over the difference of using one or the other. No problem, this life is to never stop learning.

greetings :)
andyglezl

Post by andyglezl »

Hola
En el trabajo del Dr.Soto, pueden ver el uso de 3 tipos de ventanas, faltaría la CHILD...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hi
In Dr.Soto work, you can see the use of 3 types of windows, missing the CHILD ...
Attachments
MainModalTopMost.png
MainModalTopMost.png (302.38 KiB) Viewed 6316 times
Andrés González López
Desde Guadalajara, Jalisco. México.
Javier Tovar

Post by Javier Tovar »

Así es Andy!

Saludos
Agil Abdullah

Post by Agil Abdullah »

Many thanks for kind replies from:

-Marek (MOL)

-Andy

-Javier

From this we can learn more and more how to implement windows-management which applies and how it behaves in HMG.

Regards
Agil Abdullah

Re: How To Help Clipper & Foxpro Users Catch Harbour-HMG ASAP!

Post by Agil Abdullah »

Hi Friends in my country...

Pls note to update your HMG.3.3.1. Dr.Claudi Soto has released PATCH #3. Do as follow:

1) Download from this "HMG.3.3.1_patch3.rar" viewtopic.php?f=43&t=3827&start=150

2) Overwrite your folder INCLUDE & SOURCE

3) Run "Buildalllib.bat" (select "unicode")

4) Rebuild your progs when required.

Pls note, although new color selections are provided (see i_color.ch), you still must use RGB codes in arrays {,,,} when using HMG-IDE.

Salam Hangat.

NB: This Topis Is Dedicated To HMG Beginners
Agil Abdullah

Re: How To Help Clipper & Foxpro Users Catch Harbour-HMG ASAP!

Post by Agil Abdullah »

One more good news.

Mr.Rathinagiri has released a ready-to-use program. Although he admitted it being beta-version, you could learn many things how to develop program with HMG.3.3.1.

As I say for many times, thousands of pieces of samples are not enough for beginners. Serious problems arise when time come to make a system. Unfortunately, they all (samples) belong to "MAIN WINDOW" / "MAIN FORM". When they are put in a system, there must be ONE MAIN WINDOW, they rest must be CHILD, TEMPLATE, MODAL, SPLITCHILD, etc. How to arrange that is big issue for beginners.

To learn & to do exercises with managing windows/forms effectively, now you can download forom here [Project xACT]:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4008

Hope it is useful.

NB: This Topis Is Dedicated To HMG Beginners