Binary release qtcontrib

General Help regarding HMG, Compilation, Linking, Samples

Moderator: Rathinagiri

mbelgrano

Binary release qtcontrib

Post by mbelgrano »

Thank to Pritpal Bedi
Uploaded is QtContribs latest installer QtContribs_Mingw-482_Qt-532_r373_Setup.exe
http://sourceforge.net/projects/qtcontr ... yp_redirec" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Broadly, this installer includes the following in addition to r313:
1. Compiler MinGW 4.8.2 [ Needed because Harbour Nightly is still providing v4.6 ]
2. Harbour Debugger via IdeDebugger in HbIDE brought by Alex based on Alexander Kresin's HwgDebugger.
3. Many new modules introduced by Qt 5x.
4. Tons of fixes and enhancement to overall HbQt.

Other info at
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/qtcontribs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Roberto Lopez
HMG Founder

Re: Binary release qtcontrib

Post by Roberto Lopez »

mol wrote:So, maybe hmg4 turn to life?
I'm not currently an HMG developer (just an user) so, the project future direction is not my call anymore, but I can talk about my past involvement and opinion about HMG.4.

Some years ago, when Windows Vista failure was evident, Ubuntu was evolving in the right direction and OSX user base was continuously growing.

Then, a multi-platform HMG appeared to be a need for the immediate future.

I've found three paths to achieve that goal.

1. QT
2. GTK
3. wxWindows

My 'heart' was with GTK, but, my final choice was QT, since it was (at that time) part of Harbour and that should be a big advantage.

Sadly, once the project started, I've realized about some 'bad' things:

1. With complex applications (HMG.4 layer is) HBQT demonstrated to be very slow.

2. The run-time required was gigantic and complex (and it could need adjustments according app needs).

3. Stand-alone executable not allowed by license restrictions.

4. HBQT itself was suffering constant changes that turned useless some HMG.4 code requiring permanent rewriting/correction.

5. Some HMG features could not be implemented in HMG.4 since the lack of support for them in HBQT.

6. Pritpal is a very talented man and was dedicating passionately for years to HBQT and I respect him for that, but the truth is that it was very difficult for me to communicate adequately with him. Maybe my fault, but that, was a big problem for me at certain point of development.

7. Personal reasons (a new job) reduced my free time to work in HMG.4 development, then, contributors, took a more preponderant role in the development. Sadly, I not agreed with some changes that them made to the basic design and direction of the project, to the point that I've lost interest on it.

Finally, the facts now are:

1. Windows still being the world standard for business applications (even after Vista and Win8).

2. Multi-platform for HMG 3.x is perfectly provided now by Wine on Linux and Parallels on OSX.

The future:

Well... after my HMG.4 mistake, my opinion about the future maybe not relevant, but IMHO we must to find a solution to make apps work inside a web browser following the xBase (HMG) style/spirit in such way to be able to create simple forms to update or review remote data from phones and tablets. I believe that any future HMG community effort should go on that direction.

PS: Some things regarding HBQT that I've enumerated could be not certain with current version (I've not checked it for long time).
Regards/Saludos,

Roberto

(Veritas Filia Temporis)
mruizcanete

Post by mruizcanete »

IMHO the future is uncertain but moving in two directions: web and android. Every effort made into these ways are wellcome... but hmg? Web development is needed. Android is another goal. It's true we can compile for android, but the results are as an android apk? I am an amateur programmer, searching for the real hmg web or android experience. When ? In a simple and not so complicated way as qt and all that stuff. Just wonderful hmg code to maje web and android programs.... when?
Roberto Lopez
HMG Founder

Post by Roberto Lopez »

mruizcanete wrote:IMHO the future is uncertain but moving in two directions: web and android. Every effort made into these ways are wellcome... but hmg? Web development is needed. Android is another goal. It's true we can compile for android, but the results are as an android apk? I am an amateur programmer, searching for the real hmg web or android experience. When ? In a simple and not so complicated way as qt and all that stuff. Just wonderful hmg code to maje web and android programs.... when?
Currently you could create Harbour 'console' apps for Android.

We need a a GUI for Harbour on Android.

I've asked at Harbour list for adding interfaces for Android web browser, so we could use HTML code as our GUI. Sadly there was no response until now.

Regarding web, I currently have various HMGWEB apps in use, with desktop, phones and tablet as clients. Sadly, it appears to be a not enough interest or need for it from the community.

Web development requires to think in a different way (a more difficult one) and the use of Harbour apps on server requires a special hosting (VPS) or a home/office server.

If you want to use your HMG apps on the web, the best way is to use a VNC server supporting HTML5 clients, like:

ThinVNC: http://sourceforge.net/projects/thinvnc/
GUACAMOLE: http://guac-dev.org/
RemoteSpark: http://www.remotespark.com/html5.html
Cloudbase: http://www.cloudbase.it/freerdp-html5-proxy-windows/
Regards/Saludos,

Roberto

(Veritas Filia Temporis)
Agil Abdullah

Post by Agil Abdullah »

Roberto Lopez wrote:
Currently you could create Harbour 'console' apps for Android.

We need a a GUI for Harbour on Android.

I've asked at Harbour list for adding interfaces for Android web browser, so we could use HTML code as our GUI. Sadly there was no response until now.

Regarding web, I currently have various HMGWEB apps in use, with desktop, phones and tablet as clients. Sadly, it appears to be a not enough interest or need for it from the community.
Very sad to hear about that. Hope, you'll find a way to make your idea come true.
Agil Abdullah Albatati (just call me Agil)
Programmer Never Surrender
mol

Post by mol »

Thanks for your explanation, Roberto.
Sadly, I need to say, QT was hard to implement.
Windows will be alive for years and any linux won't take it place, I think.
But, where to find simple GUI for Android?
Agil Abdullah

Post by Agil Abdullah »

I agree with Marek (MOL).

I believe Windows will maintain its kingdom in software[OS] business for at least 10years to come.
Agil Abdullah Albatati (just call me Agil)
Programmer Never Surrender
Roberto Lopez
HMG Founder

Post by Roberto Lopez »

mol wrote:Thanks for your explanation, Roberto.
Sadly, I need to say, QT was hard to implement.
Windows will be alive for years and any linux won't take it place, I think.
But, where to find simple GUI for Android?
As I've discussed on other thread, the most simplest tool for me on Android is RFO BASIC, using it with HTML GUI.

In fact that concept is the one that I've propossed in Harbour list: Adding interfaces to Harbour to make possible interaction with the Android browser to receive data from HTML forms.
Regards/Saludos,

Roberto

(Veritas Filia Temporis)