v3.3.0 and v3.3.1 Print Viewer/PDF Assistant

General Help regarding HMG, Compilation, Linking, Samples

Moderator: Rathinagiri

MGOLDFARB

Post by MGOLDFARB »

Hi. I downloaded today and test v3.3.0 and v3.3.1 with my applications today. I like the new print viewer and the ability to export from the viewer to PDF. Very useful feature!!

I am not sure if I am doing something wrong or if there is a bug:

1. When exporting to PDF from VIEWER, a small document works. When a I do a larger report (the particular one I was trying was 80 pages) I get an image error after a few seconds. I tried this in both v3.3.0 and v3.3.1.

2. Is there a way to give the PDF a name and not use the default name "HMG_MiniPrint_0001.pdf".

Thanks for your help.

Mark
mol

Re: v3.3.0 and v3.3.1 Print Viewer/PDF Assistant

Post by mol »

MGOLDFARB wrote: 1. When exporting to PDF from VIEWER, a small document works. When a I do a larger report (the particular one I was trying was 80 pages) I get an image error after a few seconds. I tried this in both v3.3.0 and v3.3.1.
In this solution, each page is embedded as an image. It will be hard to find an answer for you problem.
MGOLDFARB wrote: 2. Is there a way to give the PDF a name and not use the default name "HMG_MiniPrint_0001.pdf".
Thanks for your help.
Mark
It's waiting for next patch, but you can realize it on your own hand, working solution you can find in my posts:
http://hmgforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=3827&start=101" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rathinagiri
DBs Used: MariaDB, SQLite, SQLCipher and MySQL

Post by Rathinagiri »

1. Yes. For bigger reports, it is better to use the HMG's inbuilt PDF export.
East or West HMG is the Best.
South or North HMG is worth.
...the possibilities are endless.
Pablo César

Post by Pablo César »

For export from metafiles (print in preview), Marek has indicated to make a default name add at TextBox for name of PDFs or any other files when are multiple.

I have another suggestion which can make it better solution whe there are many pages (many files names) to be generated.

@ Claudio, It would be posible to take all these files and be jioned at only one file ?
If yes, we can include an RADIOGROUP for:

- All pages
- Current page
- Pages: [      ]

Then can be easy generate just in one file or in many multiple files when need to export.
HMGing a better world
"Matter tells space how to curve, space tells matter how to move."
Albert Einstein
MGOLDFARB

Post by MGOLDFARB »

Thank you for the responses.

The problem is that it does not look great if the button is there and it does not work. I can use the build PDF exporter, but then I would like to turn the button off to export to PDF on the viewer. Is that possible?

Thanks.

Mark
Clip2Mania

Post by Clip2Mania »

In h_controlmisc.prg, you can rem out button b7 "HP_SAVE" (line 4068)
and the shortcut Ctrl-S @ line 4464.
You will have to rebuild your libraries - & watch out if you ever upgrade your version of HMG...
MGOLDFARB

Post by MGOLDFARB »

thank you!
Pablo César

Post by Pablo César »

Pablo César wrote:For export from metafiles (print in preview), Marek has indicated to make a default name add at TextBox for name of PDFs or any other files when are multiple.

I have another suggestion which can make it better solution whe there are many pages (many files names) to be generated.

@ Claudio, It would be posible to take all these files and be jioned at only one file ?

- All pages
- Current page

Then can be easy generate just in one file or in many multiple files when need to export.
So, this is another question
MGOLDFARB wrote:Thank you for the responses.

The problem is that it does not look great if the button is there and it does not work. I can use the build PDF exporter, but then I would like to turn the button off to export to PDF on the viewer. Is that possible?
Hi Mark, interesting POV.

I understand your case, you want to make preview for users but is needed to avoid any export file. Probably the main reason of some companies is they do not want to permits to create files from reports.
Clip2Mania wrote:In h_controlmisc.prg, you can rem out button b7 "HP_SAVE" (line 4068) and the shortcut Ctrl-S @ line 4464.
You will have to rebuild your libraries...
This is one permanet way to loose important feature, but IMHO this it would be settable. The programmer could have as in option to allow or not the export options.
HMGing a better world
"Matter tells space how to curve, space tells matter how to move."
Albert Einstein
Clip2Mania

Post by Clip2Mania »

This is one permanent way to lose an important feature, but IMHO this it should be settable. The programmer could have the option to allow or not the export options.
+1
srvet_claudio

Post by srvet_claudio »

Pablo César wrote:For export from metafiles (print in preview), Marek has indicated to make a default name add at TextBox for name of PDFs or any other files when are multiple.

- All pages
- Current page

Hi Pablo,
In theory yes, but not if it would be practical to do so, because it would (probably slow to load) very large images and there is no appropriate viewer to treat the sub-images as if they were pages. Also when you printing may not set page breaks.
Best regards.
Dr. Claudio Soto
(from Uruguay)
http://srvet.blogspot.com