Regards.

Sudip
With best regards,
Sudip
Rathinagiri
DBs Used: MariaDB, SQLite, SQLCipher and MySQL

Re: MDI

Post by Rathinagiri »

Yes you can. They are called Child windows here.
East or West HMG is the Best.
South or North HMG is worth.
...the possibilities are endless.
sudip

Post by sudip »

Hello Rathinagiri,

Thank you very much!

I don't know why we always try to make simple thing too complex.

I love this simplicity.

Regards.

Sudip
With best regards,
Sudip
CCH4CLIPPER

Post by CCH4CLIPPER »

Hi Rathinagiri

AFAIK, MDI requires all windows to be opened within the MAIN Window. Implicit to the MDI model will be required support for CASCADE, TILE VERTICALLY, TILE HORIZONTALLY. A Child Window opens independently of the MAIN window

Sorry, but I can't find such functionalities in HMG (as meant by Sudip). Such functionality clearly exist in HMGExtended.

Please clarify ?

TQ

CCH
http://cch4clipper.blogspot.com
esgici
DBs Used: DBF

Post by esgici »

Hi CCH

Clarifying is here :

http://hmgforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t ... t=mdi#p595

Regards

--

Esgici
Viva INTERNATIONAL HMG :D
sudip

Post by sudip »

Hello ESGICI,

Thanks a lot! I am very new to HMG, so sometimes it appears different to me! (Although I am learning MiniGUI Ext for a few months in a very casual way ;-))

But when experienced users like you, Rathi explained to me, I am overwhelmed about the simplicity of the design.

Thank you again.

Regards.

Sudip
With best regards,
Sudip
CCH4CLIPPER

Post by CCH4CLIPPER »

Hi Escigi

TQ for pointing me to SPLITCHILD, which I will definitely check out as an alternative to MDI

As far as possible, I would like to stick with HMG as I find it much more stable as regards basic functionality

Regards

CCH
http://cch4clipper.blogspot.com
esgici
DBs Used: DBF

Post by esgici »

Hi Sudip and CCH

Thanks; me to I am happy that you are here.

I am afraid that we have some confusing around MDI. As far as I know MDI stands for "Multiple Document Interface" and here "document" is a form / window. In this manner, since we have opportunity for having multiple CHILD windows under MAIN one, surely HMG supports MDI. CASCADE, TILE etc are easiness given to "busy and lazy" programmers and aren't prerequisites of MDI. Same as "resizing browse" topic, the programmer can resize and replace controls and forms in "anchoring" or "adjusting" manner without any AUTO support.

In other hand, SPLITBOX is a really big possibility. In C:\hmg\SAMPLES\CONTAINERS\SPLITBOX there are ( currently ) seven handy samples. If we carefully read and analyze them ( without hasting ;) ), we will have more adequate thought on how HMG supports MDI concept.

Happy HMG'ing :D

Regards

--

Esgici
Viva INTERNATIONAL HMG :D
sudip

Post by sudip »

Hi,

Thank you!

If I am not wrong, now I can understand the basic theme of HMG :- Simplicity, Stability with Minimalistic Design :)

BTW, do you feel that excellent user interface is "must" for database application? In my humble opinion, excessive user interface may damage the usability of a database application (I mean data entry software). ;)

I just started a very small project (financial accounting with multiple fiscal years) with HMG. I want to add very basic things. Even no one-to-many form! Only single record entry forms and reports!

This prototype project will be complete within a week. Then I shall add some advanced features.

I defined main window as 'MAIN' and sub windows as 'CHILD'. No problem so far. Running very fast! :)

Regards.

Sudip
With best regards,
Sudip
Rathinagiri
DBs Used: MariaDB, SQLite, SQLCipher and MySQL

Post by Rathinagiri »

Thank you Sudip.

One to many can be achieved with a minimal programming effort.

FYKI I used HMG to create an ERP solution with financial accounting, order processing, inventory, payroll, process management. This is multi user environment with multiple hierarchy of permissions. I use HMG as front end and MySQL as back end.
East or West HMG is the Best.
South or North HMG is worth.
...the possibilities are endless.