A proposal for a feature in RichEditBox control

HMG Unicode versions 3.1.x related

Moderator: Rathinagiri

kcarmody

Re: A proposal for a feature in RichEditBox control

Post by kcarmody »

Rathinagiri wrote:I am trying to create TamilPad :)
It should be easy if you start with AksharaPad. If you haven't already, please read my comments below for Gujarati, which apply to any Indic script, except the code point difference is 0x0280, and the Tamil chart is missing some characters that are used in Sanskrit.

Kevin
Last edited by kcarmody on Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
bpd2000

Post by bpd2000 »

kcarmody wrote:
bpd2000 wrote:Interested to know how you have selected Devnagari language for your project
I live near Maharishi University of Management in Iowa.
Kevin
Thank you for reply and happy to know more about Devanagari, Sir we can add help of Devanagari word that display while we are typing [just like Google input tool provide]
BPD
Convert Dream into Reality through HMG
kcarmody

Post by kcarmody »

bpd2000 wrote:Thank you for reply and happy to know more about Devanagari, Sir we can add help of Devanagari word that display while we are typing [just like Google input tool provide]
Thank you, but I don't quite understand. Are you offering to help develop an HMG application that works like the Google input tool?

It appears to me that the Google approach might work OK for Hindi but probably would not work well for Sanskrit. Unlike the Google input tool, AksharaPad shows Devanagari right away and does not require you to select it from a menu. However, the Google tool takes ordinary Romanization (Hunterian) and does not require the user to learn a special Romanization like ITrans. The developer has to work harder, however, to develop a suitable list of Devanagari suggestions for every conceivable Romanization input.

If you want to go ahead and develop such a program, that would be great :)

Kevin
Pablo César

Post by Pablo César »

Hi Kevin,

First I wish to thank you again for your contributions about RICHEDIT and I wish to know RICHEDIT uses different version what I guess: yes. So far I know, RICHEDIT5 supports Word, Excel, PowerPoint and PDFs files. This info I got from FiveWin which they can be displayed inner of application without ActiveX of Acrobat. What it's seems interesting.

May you confirm if such as resource could it be obtained in HMG?
HMGing a better world
"Matter tells space how to curve, space tells matter how to move."
Albert Einstein
kcarmody

Post by kcarmody »

Pablo César wrote:Hi Kevin,

First I wish to thank you again for your contributions about RICHEDIT and I wish to know RICHEDIT uses different version what I guess: yes. So far I know, RICHEDIT5 supports Word, Excel, PowerPoint and PDFs files. This info I got from FiveWin which they can be displayed inner of application without ActiveX of Acrobat. What it's seems interesting.

Thanks for your compliment! The version of rich edit that you have depends on the Windows version, and the MS Office version if you have one. See this post for an almost complete list:
https://github.com/dpradov/keynote-nf/issues/530
and see these two posts for a list of features of each rich edit version:
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/murray ... -versions/
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/murray ... te-to-7-0/

As the first post explains, if you do not have Office but have XP or later, you get the current version of rich edit with the classname RichEdit50W. This is what HMG does: see \SOURCE\c_richeditbox.c, line 82. If you have Office 2007 or later, you get a newer version of rich edit using the classname RichEdit60W. HMG thus assumes you do not have Office, which I think is a good assumption. I use LibreOffice myself and recommend it or WPS Office by Kingsoft, both of which are free.

Windows 7 has rich edit version 4.1, but Windows 8 and 10 have version 7.5. This sounds like a big difference, but honestly when I look at the additions from 4.1 to 7.5, I don't get very excited. It looks like the main improvement is for math display, but I use TeX for all my math work. I don't see anything in the feature lists that indicates increased support for Excel, PowerPoint, or PDF. But if you want to use the extra features in the rich edit that comes with MS Office, then I think that you only need to change that line in c_richeditbox.c.
bpd2000

Post by bpd2000 »

Pablo César wrote:Hi Kevin,

Hi Pablo César
Any progress / more test done by you for RICHEDIT5
I am interested
BPD
Convert Dream into Reality through HMG
Pablo César

Post by Pablo César »

I do not know how to say this ... but I'll tell you.
Sometimes I feel a lot of desire to do new things and not be so much discouraged by failures... which makes me confused or less willing to do something new is the fear of suggesting any changes in HMG and it becomes an imaediate reproof or a deterrent sinister and sometimes controversial and disappointing ... (sorry for my outburst, but sometimes I think it's persecution of my person). It's the way I feel. :oops:

But I will take it into account their interest and after some time after getting my new machine, I'll do tests. :)

Thanks Dave for showing interest. A big hug to you.
HMGing a better world
"Matter tells space how to curve, space tells matter how to move."
Albert Einstein