HBuGUI

Issues and Discussions related to Harbour

Moderator: Rathinagiri

Pcmodula

Re: HBuGUI

Post by Pcmodula »

Roberto Lopez wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:11 pm
1. HMG, HMG Extended and OOHG, started from the open source MiniGUI library. They are similar in many ways, but with different approaches to certain aspects, according the vision of their authors/maintainers. This is how open source works and I'm happy with that. I'm really proud that a small experimental library (like original MiniGUI was) be the base for three great development tools.

2. I was in charge of the projects (MiniGUI and later HMG) from 2002 to 2011. Then I was not able to continue because I have not enough time anymore. I've communicated that to the community when I've made the decision.

3. The prior applies to HMG4 too. It is open source, and anybody interested can continue it.

This is how open source works. Everybody contributes the way they can, the time they can: with core code, examples, bug report, fixes, suggestion or simply helping other users and it's ok.
Ok Sir, I think I understand that the reason HMG was born is not due to license violations or coyright
but to a different way of programming that screeched with the changes made during its absence .

Then I think the Minigui Extended team was right to maintain compatibility with HMG.
I think that the choice to keep the group together (even in the name) is a solution of continuity
profuse with ample examples (and from what I have seen) that Grigory also dispenses for HMG.

Unfortunately, if there is no possibility to combine all the efforts in a new build, the added value is lost.

Too bad that HMG is Only Free and not totally Open, as is it "Minigui Extended", aka "HMG Extended".
So if the major developers leave, the system dies. (even more so if you don't have all the
sources), it's like thinking Linux without Torvalds..

This is my humble opinion.
Roberto, Sir, correct me if I'm wrong.

Best regards
PcModula
Roberto Lopez
HMG Founder

Post by Roberto Lopez »

Rathinagiri wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:03 pm Wow! Very interesting and timely topic. Thank you Roberto.

Actually I am developing a simple library (keeping the core HMG and JMG Principle - Simple) for creating a simple form, with various controls and Database connectivity with lesser JavaScript and HTML code known to the users using ModHarbour. It is for my own purpose. Whether it can be generalised and useful to others also I don't know. Once it gets to a shape, let me share.

For example:

Code: Select all

StartFormDefinition( cFormName, cSubmitPage )
TextBox( cTextBoxName, cDefaultText, cTextBoxType )
ComboBox( cComboBoxName, aItems, nDefault )
DatePicker( cDatePickerName, dDefaultDate )
Grid( cGridName, aHeader, aItems, lAllowSelect )
... Other control definitions
EndFormDefinition()
I like it!

It is absolutely HMG style.

We are waiting for it!
Regards/Saludos,

Roberto

(Veritas Filia Temporis)
Roberto Lopez
HMG Founder

Post by Roberto Lopez »

bpd2000 wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:39 am
Roberto Lopez wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:10 pm I've created apps using HMGWEB, HMGSCRIPT and JMG for some of my customers. These libraries are fully functional and very useful. My preferred one now is JMG. In fact, I'm developing a mobile app for inventory control, using it right now.
Thank you, Sir, My aim was not to hurt anybody
Ok, right know your main focus is JMG, good
JMG on https://sourceforge.net/projects/jmg is last updated on 2016-10-28 [jmg.alpha.008]
I request for an updated / latest version for the community [It is your option to share or not]
Regards
I'm using (essentially) the published version. I've added (and continue adding) some "dirty hacks" to achieve some specific goals.

So, this new code, is not ready to be shared in its current way.
Regards/Saludos,

Roberto

(Veritas Filia Temporis)
Roberto Lopez
HMG Founder

Post by Roberto Lopez »

Pcmodula wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:50 pm Too bad that HMG is Only Free and not totally Open
I feel compelled to clarify this: HMG is completely open source.
Pcmodula wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:50 pm I think that the choice to keep the group together (even in the name) is a solution of continuity
When decided start the new project (HMG) I gave my username and password as administrator of the MiniGUI Yahoo group to the main contributors. So, that was my intention: MiniGUI users and contributors together at the sane place with the same name (continuity).

Anyway, I guess that I've talked about this topic, enough already :D.
Regards/Saludos,

Roberto

(Veritas Filia Temporis)
jairpinho

Post by jairpinho »

Roberto Lopez wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:48 pm
Pcmodula wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:50 pm Too bad that HMG is Only Free and not totally Open
Pcmodula wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:50 pm I think that the choice to keep the group together (even in the name) is a solution of continuity
When decided start the new project (HMG) I gave my username and password as administrator of the MiniGUI Yahoo group to the main contributors. So, that was my intention: MiniGUI users and contributors together at the sane place with the same name (continuity).

Anyway, I guess that I've talked about this topic, enough already :D.
Where are the IDE sources? this resource needs to be improved, all sources of hmg are in the installer or do you need something else?
Jair Pinho
HMG ALTA REVOLUÇÃO xBASE
HMG xBASE REVOLUTION HIGH
http://www.hmgforum.com.br
jairpinho

Post by jairpinho »

Roberto Lopez wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:10 pm
bpd2000 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:03 am
Roberto Lopez wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:49 am I've forgot another another of my web concepts (HMGWEB). A Harbour-CGI developmet tool capable of generate jQuery Mobile (responsive) interfces. Maybe someone could give it a new use :D (https://sourceforge.net/projects/hmgweb/).
Roberto Sir, you are generous
But after the launch of a new project you stop development of said project [See https://sourceforge.net/projects/hmgweb/files/ last modified 2014/03/13]
Where as Antonio Linares is continuously improving the Harbour related project
I've created five open source projects:

- MiniGUI
- HMG
- HMGWEB
- HMGSCRIPT
- JMG

The difference between the first two and the others is that MiniGUI and HMG were successful.

A successful open source project is a team work. It require core developers, contributors, testers, etc.

In all cases, I have only sown the seeds. Sometimes they developed and sometimes not...

MiniGUI and HMG grew from my original work, because people were interested on the project and grouped around them.

I've created apps using HMGWEB, HMGSCRIPT and JMG for some of my customers. These libraries are fully functional and very useful. My preferred one now is JMG. In fact, I'm developing a mobile app for inventory control, using it right now.

In all cases, I've created fully functional GUI libraries. As I've said, some of them grew because they attracted contributors, some others, not.

I'm honored by the comparison with Antonio Linares, but I'm just an user/programmer that shared some of his code with others. Antonio is a genius.

Maybe my comment about mod_harbour was misunderstood.

Mod_harbour is a great thing and we all should thank Antonio for it. I'm just pointing, that, an abstraction layer for easy GUI creation, would be a great thing for it.

In fact, such layer could be created by anyone as a contribution and invoked as an include (or in any other way). I wasn't pointing Antonio for that, at all.

In 2002 (when started MiniGUI) my reasoning was: Harbour is a great thing, but needs an easy-to-use Windows GUI library. Such thinking wasn't against Harbour developers.

I hope I have been clear enough this time.
JMG is fantastic, could explain better how it does to manipulate the mysql data. in the examples I can not understand.
Jair Pinho
HMG ALTA REVOLUÇÃO xBASE
HMG xBASE REVOLUTION HIGH
http://www.hmgforum.com.br
Roberto Lopez
HMG Founder

Post by Roberto Lopez »

jairpinho wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:50 pm I feel compelled to clarify this: HMG is completely open source.
Where are the IDE sources? this resource needs to be improved, all sources of hmg are in the installer or do you need something else?
Well... I've decided to not publish IDE sources, since it is badly coded (by me, of course :D).

It was originally conceived as a visual designer for a small subset of controls and then, it grew out of control, since I was focused primarily on GUI library development.

One of the best things about open source, is that you can learn from others code. This is very important point to me, since I was a computer science teacher for many years.

So, IDE is a sort of bad example of programming and IMHO not a good thing to be published.

Anyway, if people is interesting on improving it yet, I could made it available, with a big disclaimer "DO NOT CODE LIKE THIS" :D
Regards/Saludos,

Roberto

(Veritas Filia Temporis)
Roberto Lopez
HMG Founder

Post by Roberto Lopez »

jairpinho wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:14 pm JMG is fantastic, could explain better how it does to manipulate the mysql data. in the examples I can not understand.
It uses jQuery Mobile, then it requires jQuery.

You can handle AJAX calls using jQuery way.

It is really simple.

This fragments are part of JMG demo:

JavaScript:

function ajaxRead()
{	
	// First, we call the select.php server procedure to get our recordset. 
	// The process is ASYNCHRONOUS, meaning that our client program still runing
	// WITHOUT WAIT for request completion.

var server = get('text8','value');

var request = $.ajax( { url: "http://" + server + "/php/select.php" } );

// Then we define the required callback functions for the events 'done' and 'fail'.
	// One of this will be automatically executed, when our request be succesfully finished
	// or when fail.

request.done(function( jsonData )
	{
		doMethod('table2','load',jsonData);
	});

request.fail(function(jqXHR, textStatus)
	{
		alert( "Request failed: " + textStatus );
	});

}
PHP:

<?php

$db = mysqli_connect( '127.0.0.1', 'root', '');

if( ! $db ) :
		die( mysql_error() )	;
	endif;

if( ! mysqli_select_db($db, 'test')):
		die( mysql_error() );
	endif;

$query = mysqli_query( $db, "select * from people" );

if( !$query ) :
		die("error SQL");
	endif;

$table = array();

while( $row = mysqli_fetch_array( $query, MYSQLI_NUM ) ):
		$table[] = $row;
	endwhile;

$string	= json_encode( $table );

mysqli_free_result( $query );
	mysqli_close($db);

echo $string;

?>
Regards/Saludos,

Roberto

(Veritas Filia Temporis)
jparada

Post by jparada »

Hi,
Some time ago I also did tests with JMG, it's amazing simplicity and abstraction to introduce us "Newbies" to the real world web, even as tests I added the Listview widget very rudimentarily and apparently it worked...

jmg.jpg
jmg.jpg (20.38 KiB) Viewed 5372 times
(in fact this image is from the JMG demo taken from my android mobile phone, it was converted as Roberto commented at that time with Website2APK builder)

But as I have said on other occasions, it is a project that has no support, and although it is open source, there are users who don't have the capacity (of course, I include myself) to implement and develop a project, we are rather contributors to perform tests and use for our own purposes.

The advantage, if we could talk at this moment of incomplete project, JMG against mod_harbour, the main one is that mod_harbour apparently you have to have a dedicated server, because you have to modify apache configuration files and if you have a shared/leased host you don't have access to these configuration files.

Another "disadvantage" is that in mod_harbour all the code of the "server" side, is prg/xbase, while JMG although you do not realize it but it introduces you in a light and friendly way so that you start to know the JavaScript and PHP syntax...

As Robert says, JMG did not have a great reception in this forum, maybe nobody has a work requirement yet.

In my opinion JMG is one of the best projects that Roberto has implemented and I still believe that it has too much potential either to carry out a real web project (branches of business in different locations in the same city, even in different countries), but Personally, the fear of being alone experimenting and learning has stopped me and I left it aside a while ago... anyway, I just wanted to express my opinion.

Regards,
Javier
serge_girard
DBs Used: 1 MySQL - MariaDB
2 DBF

Post by serge_girard »

I tried JMG and several other HMG projects. Regretfully support is poor!

Serge
There's nothing you can do that can't be done...