aPrinter() function problem

Moderator: Rathinagiri

l3whmg

aPrinter() function problem

Post by l3whmg »

Hi at all,
In a network scenario, I had installed and shared one printer. After some time, I had removed the pc (and the printer) where was installed locally that printer, but I not remove from the panel “Installed printers” on the other pc; on this last pc, in Ms Windows XP Pro, I can see this printer in the panel, but with a message like “can not connect…” (I don’t remember exactly the message in WXp English version).
In this scenario, when I call the function “aPrinters()”, the program display an error (like msgstop) and go in a deadlock state and only with the task manager I can kill the process; I’m sorry, but I can’t include an image of the message and I can’t replicate it, because I’ve removed the printer from the “Installed printers” list and the program works fine. On the other hand I think the problem appear only when the printer state is like showed by that message (not when the printer it’s only turned off).

A little question: I’ve read about some printer functions in “hbwin” contribution library (Harbour 2.0.0). I can call these function after MiniGui “SELECT PRINTER…” command using _HMG_SYSDATA[374] value as reference? Because I’ve create one little printing library (very simple, not like report interpreter) to print out, but I need to know some information; I think about “win_GetDeviceCaps” or “win_GetCharSize” or “win_GetTextSize” included in hbwin library.

Many thanks in advance.
Luigi from Italy
www.L3W.it
Roberto Lopez
HMG Founder

Re: aPrinter() function problem

Post by Roberto Lopez »

l3whmg wrote:Hi at all,
In a network scenario, I had installed and shared one printer. After some time, I had removed the pc (and the printer) where was installed locally that printer, but I not remove from the panel “Installed printers” on the other pc; on this last pc, in Ms Windows XP Pro, I can see this printer in the panel, but with a message like “can not connect…” (I don’t remember exactly the message in WXp English version).
In this scenario, when I call the function “aPrinters()”, the program display an error (like msgstop) and go in a deadlock state and only with the task manager I can kill the process; I’m sorry, but I can’t include an image of the message and I can’t replicate it, because I’ve removed the printer from the “Installed printers” list and the program works fine. On the other hand I think the problem appear only when the printer state is like showed by that message (not when the printer it’s only turned off).
Ok.

Its very very important for me that you let me know the message. It could be a good starting point to me to try to work on it.
l3whmg wrote: A little question: I’ve read about some printer functions in “hbwin” contribution library (Harbour 2.0.0).
I've not reviewed such functions in Harbour yet, so I can't help you on this right now.
Regards/Saludos,

Roberto

(Veritas Filia Temporis)
l3whmg

Post by l3whmg »

Hi Roberto,
I've tried to replicate, but without the same result. At this point I think: or was my program to have problem (but it's the same that I'm using now) or the conditions were not the same.
I take in my mind this event and if come back...
Many, many thanks for your job.
Luigi from Italy
www.L3W.it
Roberto Lopez
HMG Founder

Post by Roberto Lopez »

l3whmg wrote:Hi Roberto,
I've tried to replicate, but without the same result. At this point I think: or was my program to have problem (but it's the same that I'm using now) or the conditions were not the same.
I take in my mind this event and if come back...
Many, many thanks for your job.
Please, do not forget (for this problem and others) to send me all the error messages that you've received. That is extremely important to analyze the problem and get a solution.
Regards/Saludos,

Roberto

(Veritas Filia Temporis)
l3whmg

Post by l3whmg »

Yes,
the next time I will be more active to store message and situation!
Bye
Luigi from Italy
www.L3W.it