Welcome to the HMG Forum!

HMG announcements; Latest HMG-related news, releases, fixes and updates.

Moderator: Rathinagiri

Roberto Lopez
HMG Founder

Re: Welcome to the HMG Forum!

Post by Roberto Lopez »

rathinagiri wrote: I had created two such modules grid2print and grid2pdf to easily print the data in any grid having any number of rows and columns. After having a thorough fixing I will contribute which may be useful for somebody here. :)
Well... as you describe those modules, they look very generic and useful for me.

Could be added as a two new methods for grid.

Please, let me know when be ready.

Regards,

Roberto.
Regards/Saludos,

Roberto

(Veritas Filia Temporis)
Rathinagiri
DBs Used: MariaDB, SQLite, SQLCipher and MySQL

Post by Rathinagiri »

Yes. I am now working on that.
East or West HMG is the Best.
South or North HMG is worth.
...the possibilities are endless.
Roberto Lopez
HMG Founder

Post by Roberto Lopez »

A little little more welcome message...

Why do you don't release the HMG IDE source code?
Which are your obscure intentions about it?

IDE is a very big application. It has about 41000 lines of code.

To make it run faster it relies heavily on MiniGUI library internals and
some C code to cover low level things not implemented on the library.

Since it relies on library internals, sometimes, modifications to library, obligate to me to make changes (usually extensive) to IDE code.

IMHO these (and other things) turn this project into a personal one, not suitable to make its code public.

Anyway, I not discard the possibility to make the code public in the future.

I can only assure that IDE will always be FREELY DISTRIBUTED as freeware.

There is no evil intentions behind this decision :)

Maybe there is a problem (not fully specified) with control XXX
but I'm not sure. Can you fix it please?
My application is not working as expected. I've attached to the message all app 5000 lines of code. I guess that must be an HMG problem, please solve it.

Ok. I'll say once again :)

I cannot analyze a presunct bug based on a tale about it, or read a
thousand lines app to attempt to find it. It is very time consuming and inefficient way to go.

Please, send me a simple sample showing the bug, to SourceForge HMG bug tracker. The sample must include all necessary files to compile and run it.

If you are not able to reproduce the problem in a small sample, is highly probable that be not an HMG problem, but a error in your app.

Do you accept donations?

In early 2004, the total suscriptors in all MiniGUI forums was more
than 1500.

I've took about three hours a day (sometimes more) to answer all the messages directed to me with help requests.

So, I've think that request for donations from the MiniGUI users could be a good idea. It could allow to me, dedicate full time to the project, filling the needs of those using the library to develop professional apps.

Sadly, with the exception of a small group of users, there was no
significant response.

Some time later, I've decided to remove donations request from the HMG releases due to the lack of interest from the users.

Based on that experience, I have no plans to do it again.

Regards,

Roberto.
Regards/Saludos,

Roberto

(Veritas Filia Temporis)
esgici
DBs Used: DBF

Post by esgici »

Roberto Lopez wrote:A little more welcome statement....

Fortunately you could get the Simpsons episode 8F23 :)

In this episode Homer designs a car to suit his own needs. Of course,
the car was a monstruosity very expensive and (of course) a complete failure.

Perhaps there is no need to watch the episode to get the idea, ...

Hi Roberto

Me too, I like Homer ! He teached me for recognize some people...

Unfortunately I don't watch this episode. You are right, the simile is impressive and the idea is sufficiently clear, no need to watch whole episode. But I am curious for another point. Is this car fully handmade or modified one? If modified, Homer may be purchased or seizured it. In which case we can consider him as a "guru" ?

Regards

esgici
Viva INTERNATIONAL HMG :D
Roberto Lopez
HMG Founder

Post by Roberto Lopez »

esgici wrote: But I am curious for another point. Is this car fully handmade or modified one? If modified, Homer may be purchased or seizured it. In which case we can consider him as a "guru" ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oh_Brother ... rt_Thou%3F

Regards,

Roberto.
Regards/Saludos,

Roberto

(Veritas Filia Temporis)
esgici

Post by esgici »

Thanks Roberto

I am informed and acquired a new Walpaper !

Best Regards

esgici
gvaronas

Post by gvaronas »

. . .
So, what is the place for experimentation and exciting new 'things' ?

The User components interface, of course.

I've created to let to any HMG user to add fully new GUI elements, or add
properties and events to existing ones.

Hola Roberto, en primer lugar para expresar mi alegria al saber noticias de ti y mi agradecimiento por retomar HMG, disculpame que te escriba en español, pero es para muy un tanto dificil expresar en inglés lo que quiero exponerte sobre este asunto refererido a la Interfaz para Componentes de Usuario, he tratado de entender el ejemplo del sitio oficial (MyButton) y no se si para los demas, pero para mis humildes conocimientos me ha resultado complicado entender el código, lo cual no va acorde con tu filosofia de trabajo (fácil de usar), o hace falta una explicacion mas sencilla de cómo utilizarlo, o es realmente complicado para usuarios con conocimientos básicos como los soy yo?

Atentamente,
GVS
esgici

Post by esgici »

gvaronas wrote:
Roberto Lopez wrote:. . .
So, what is the place for experimentation and exciting new 'things' ?

The User components interface, of course.

I've created to let to any HMG user to add fully new GUI elements, or add
properties and events to existing ones.
Hola Roberto, en primer lugar para expresar mi alegria al saber noticias de ti y mi agradecimiento por retomar HMG, disculpame que te escriba en español, pero es para muy un tanto dificil expresar en inglés lo que quiero exponerte sobre este asunto refererido a la Interfaz para Componentes de Usuario, he tratado de entender el ejemplo del sitio oficial (MyButton) y no se si para los demas, pero para mis humildes conocimientos me ha resultado complicado entender el código, lo cual no va acorde con tu filosofia de trabajo (fácil de usar), o hace falta una explicacion mas sencilla de cómo utilizarlo, o es realmente complicado para usuarios con conocimientos básicos como los soy yo?
Google translate wrote:
Hello Roberto, firstly to express my joy to hear news from you and my appreciation for HMG resume, Excuse me you write in Spanish, but is somewhat to very difficult to express in English what I want to expose on this matter to referera Interface Components for User, I have tried to understand the example of the official website (MyButton) and if not for others but for my humble knowledge has proved complicated, I understand the code, which is not consistent with your philosophy of work (easy using), or we need a more simple explanation of how to use it, or really complicated for users with basic knowledge as I am?
Hola gvaronas

Welcome aboard

I am agree with you. The "User Components" feature excited me from the beginning. Unfortunately I can't understood it
adequately until now; it continue hardly to resist against understanding :)

IMHO we need learning a little low-level programing concepts ( working with C interface, precompiler issues etc) and especially more and more samples.

But there is a point: Why we are always in waiting everything from Roberto :?:

The mastre can't give everything other than most basic, most necessary; because "give everything" is impossible at least time wievpoint. The student also must work, research, investigate and especially have much experiments; otherwise we can't reach to success. Programing is a most exciting job of all the times. But it's not only "copy and paste" technology, requires a lot of suffering.

I dont have basic knowledge for experimenting on "User Components" concept. But I am sure that in our community we have many member/user/coworker that has this ability.

All we are HMG students, and sharing is one of our first goals. Sharing dont mean only "getting", it's also include "giving".

So, we may waiting to see experiments from our friends.

Regards
Last edited by esgici on Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rathinagiri
DBs Used: MariaDB, SQLite, SQLCipher and MySQL

Post by Rathinagiri »

Sharing doesn't mean only "getting", it also includes "giving". - Nice saying Esgici.
East or West HMG is the Best.
South or North HMG is worth.
...the possibilities are endless.
Roberto Lopez
HMG Founder

Post by Roberto Lopez »

gvaronas wrote:. . .
El agregado de un nuevo control a MiniGUI (o a cualquier otra librería) requiere un conocimiento más o menos profundo sobre la forma en la que Windows funciona.

La interfase 'User Components' en realidad lo hace bastante más sencillo de lo que realmente es, pero es imposible, escapar a ciertas complejidades relativas al funcionamiento del sistema operativo.

Esto no va en contra de la filosofía de HMG, ya que una cosa es escribir programas usando HMG y otra modificar la librería misma para agregar nuevas características.

Probablemente, el punto más conflictivo es el manejo de eventos, que es el mayor obstáculo para programar a bajo nivel en Windows.

La historia es más o menos así:

Cuando nuestro programa está detenido en un estado de espera (digamos un 'Activate Window') en realidad, está ejecutándose un ciclo (usualemnte llamado 'message loop) esperando que pase algo, digamos, un click de mouse o una tecla presionada. Cuando algo de esto sucede, recibimos un mensaje de parte del sistema. Este mensaje suele tener cuatro parámetros, que nos dicen que es lo que está pasando y donde está pasando, a partir de lo cual, podemos tomar las acciones que se requieran (el ciclo principal de eventos está en el archivo 'h_windows.prg' (función 'Events') del código fuente de MiniGUI).

Cuando se trata de administrar un nuevo control GUI, es imposible escapar de esto, que por supuesto, está normalmente oculto para un programador HMG (no te imaginas lo difícil que es ocultarlo :)

En resumen, la interfase 'User Components' hace las cosas más fáciles, pero necesitas tener ciertos conocimientos previos sobre el API de Windows. Hay muchísimos recursos en la red para informarse sobre esto.

Saludos,

Roberto.
Regards/Saludos,

Roberto

(Veritas Filia Temporis)