G'day from Melbourne, Oz

New members who wish to post and participate in HMG Forum, please introduce yourselves in this forum by starting a new thread.

Moderator: Rathinagiri

EduardoLuis

Re: G'day from Melbourne, Oz

Post by EduardoLuis »

Hi Stephen:

Wellcome to our fellowship.-
Perhaps many words can define what is HMG, two ones will define it right: simple & powerfull.-
The only limit you will find is your imagination.-
Wellcome again.
Eduardo from Argentine.-
dhaine_adp

Post by dhaine_adp »

Hi Stephen,

Welcome to HMG. Indeed xBase won't be extinct for years to come it simply evolve. Regarding treatment failure of prostate cancer, don't loose hope if conventional medicine fails try seeking alternative medicine. I'm sure you'll find one in your place. Here's a link for you to read and consider if it may help you: http://worldwithoutcancer.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My mother had a Hodgkin's lymphoma (cancer of the lymph nodes, stage 3-4) that made her groin, stomach and lungs swell. She had develop severe dry skin all over her body and her hands and sole of feet cracks open due to severe dryness. She also refuse to have chemotherapy but I can't bear to see her suffering like that. Literally she's having her painful journey towards the end of her life. However I found an alternative doctor but the manner of diagnosis is different than conventional medicine doctor's approach. It's just an evaluation of remaining healthy red blood cells against the ratio of poison (cancer cells) and unhealthy red blood cells observed in a microscope attached to a computer.

The doctor administer B17 (derived from apricot) taken orally along with four more medications (flax seed oil, blood cleansing pill, kidney wash pill and multivitamins). I don't have any chemical composition and pharmacho-kinetics information of the remaining four pills. It seems to me that each one cancelled the side effect.

Three days later after the initial intake of the medicine, my mother is able to taste food and shows signs of recovery. 12 days the swelling recedes, she's able to walk and do light household chores. 24 days she's at 70% recovery and able to cook, her skin softens and began to shows natural skin glows.

Keep your faith in God and if there's will to live there's way.

Regards,

Danny
Regards,

Danny
Manila, Philippines
Javier Tovar

Post by Javier Tovar »

Hi Danny,

Thanks for the information about the Cancer, very interesting! :o :o :o , And good that your mom can live a more fulfilling life, congratulations! :) :) :)

Cheers and Hug!
Roberto Lopez
HMG Founder

Post by Roberto Lopez »

Welcome From Argentina too!

And ... don't worry about VO... nobody likes it :)

Was very hard to most of us, that CA idea about the Clipper evolution were VO.

HMG was a response... like saying... Hey!... xBase must be simple and powerful... the underlying OS complexities must be transparent to the programmer, allowing him to focus on the problem to be solved, not on obscure code, that requires a dozens of lines to create a simple Hello World app. :)

EDIT: This is how CAVO hello world app source code looks like: http://www2.latech.edu/~acm/helloworld/ ... jects.html

I can't figure out why it doesn't succeed :)
Regards/Saludos,

Roberto

(Veritas Filia Temporis)
serowe

Post by serowe »

Roberto Lopez wrote:And ... don't worry about VO... nobody likes it :)
I can't figure out why it doesn't succeed :)
LOL and here was I thinking I was the only one who didn't like it! :twisted:
Maybe now I can admit to being on the beta team for it (well at least V1.x) and I recall having those nasty thoughts back then as well!

As for Harbour - slowly getting to grips with it - documentation is, IMHO, it's one major weak point. There are plenty of sites/articles out there showing WHAT commands/functions are but very few put them into real world situations eg 'how to create a data display window within a main window'. As I said though - (very) slowly getting there with it - maybe I need to start putting pen to paper (do people still do that?) and write out my experiences and how I eventually got things to work...

Thanks to everyone for the greetings.

Now - why can't my 100,000+ lines of Clipper code simply translate straight over to Harbour without any errors? :o :roll:
tonton2

Post by tonton2 »

Bienvenu à HMGFORUM
Wellcome from Algeria
L'Algerie vous salut
Y.TABET
quartz565

Post by quartz565 »

Welcome From Greece!
Best Regards,
Nikos.

Roberto Lopez
HMG Founder

Post by Roberto Lopez »

serowe wrote: Maybe now I can admit to being on the beta team for it (well at least V1.x) and I recall having those nasty thoughts back then as well!
I still having nasty thoughts even today :).

Sadly for us, It was a perfect storm against xBase future:

1. The CA decision of terminate Clipper and replace with VO.

2. The Fox Software acquisition by MS (*).

3. The late arrival of Borland dBase V for Windows (A GREAT PRODUCT). It was published when Visual Basic was already the worldwide standard development tool for Windows.

(*) This acquisition was very bad for xBase because:

a). One of the first things happened was the termination of Unix, and Mac versions of Fox. Until that moment, you could use the same sources in DOS, Unix, Mac and Windows. Such feature (among others) made FoxPro one of the most popular development tools at that time (about 1992).

b). Visual Foxpro arrived too late and was plenty of problems. Some of these problems were solved in later versions, but was even more late.

c) The permanent rumors of VFP product discontinuation. They started very soon after the first VFP version were published and were based in the theory that the Fox acquisition by MS was motivated to eliminate MS Access competition and get Fox technology (specially 'Rushmore') at the same time. VFP lasted until 2007, but the those rumors destroyed the product future many years before.

As you can imagine, much of the motivation to create HMG comes from these facts.

I'm sure that, if at least one thing happened in a different way (CA creating Clipper For Windows, Borland publishing dBase V for Windows earlier or MS not acquiring Fox Software) xBase could have been the dominant language for desktops in 90s and such popularity could have brought xBase interpreters for web servers as default in 2000's... who knows... stranger things had happened :)

PS: This could be a good idea for a new sequel of The Butterfly Effect movie :)

PS2: Being the Fox acquisition by MS, the worst of the all things mentioned, I specially enjoy my new 'MS free' personal life with my Android phone and my Linux PC at home :)
Regards/Saludos,

Roberto

(Veritas Filia Temporis)
Javier Tovar

Post by Javier Tovar »

Hola Roberto Lopez,

Con una gran facilidad y con un verdadero poema cibernetico nos explica el por qué nació HMG (gracias a usted), en verdad una hermosa poesía la que acaba de escribir MAESTRO!!! :) :) :) :o :o :o

Saludos
esgici
DBs Used: DBF

Post by esgici »

As declared at the very beginning and repeated also here main perspective of HMG was and is always "simplicity, powerfulness, easyness". This is the point missed by ( all version of ) dB for Windows, VB, VFP even VO, and in short almost all tastes of xBase for Windows.

This is second factor of success of HMG.

The main factor is the genius of The Builder.

May be cost as a third factor; this factor is also a treat by The Builder : generosity 8-)

Big companies said : "You see, programming is a extremely difficult task, no everybody can achieve this. Individual efforts can't achieve this task, this may be only by teams. freelance software development remain in the past"

And a hero said : "Do not be frightened of sharks !" :arrow:

HMG is Here.

Viva HMG, viva Roberto Lopez and all supporters, followers !
Viva INTERNATIONAL HMG :D