Your Suggestions Please

Forum help and suggestions to improve this forum.

Moderator: Rathinagiri

Rathinagiri
DBs Used: MariaDB, SQLite, SQLCipher and MySQL

Your Suggestions Please

Post by Rathinagiri »

Dear Members,

You are well aware of the fact that ours is an exclusive forum.

Now, to avoid spammers, we have mainly two safeguards in this phpBB software. One is before getting registered one has to enter a CAPTCHA code as visual confirmation so that no body can automatically get registered. Another one is email activation, where by, the new member will be asked to enter an activation link which is immediately sent to the email address of the new member.

Initially we had enabled both of these. Some members had asked me through email, that, CAPTCHA code can not be seen in their system, so they can not enter at all. So, I had disabled CAPTCHA. Now, we have only email activation procedure.

As of now, we have 104 members. But, the number of members who had not activated is 175! :o :shock: :? This just shows the existence of spammers.

I had come to a conclusion that, the membership of persons who had not activated will be deleted in one week's time. If he wants to enter again, he can do so by re-registering.

If we enable CAPTCHA, spammers can not get in at all! :lol: :mrgreen:

What shall we do? Please give your suggestions.
East or West HMG is the Best.
South or North HMG is worth.
...the possibilities are endless.
gfilatov

Re: Your Suggestions Please

Post by gfilatov »

rathinagiri wrote:Dear Members,

Dear Rathinagiri,

IMHO you should enable CAPTCHA, of course :!:
Kind Regards,
Grigory Filatov

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." Albert Einstein
Roberto Lopez
HMG Founder

Post by Roberto Lopez »

Now, to avoid spammers, we have mainly two safeguards in this phpBB software. One is before getting registered one has to enter a CAPTCHA code as visual confirmation so that no body can automatically get registered. Another one is email activation, where by, the new member will be asked to enter an activation link which is immediately sent to the email address of the new member.

Initially we had enabled both of these. Some members had asked me through email, that, CAPTCHA code can not be seen in their system, so they can not enter at all. So, I had disabled CAPTCHA. Now, we have only email activation procedure.

As of now, we have 104 members. But, the number of members who had not activated is 175! :o :shock: :? This just shows the existence of spammers.

I had come to a conclusion that, the membership of persons who had not activated will be deleted in one week's time. If he wants to enter again, he can do so by re-registering.

Like Grigory, my opinion is that you must enable CAPTCHA.

Spam is a terrible problem and it must be avoided at any cost.

Regards,

Roberto.
Regards/Saludos,

Roberto

(Veritas Filia Temporis)
Rathinagiri
DBs Used: MariaDB, SQLite, SQLCipher and MySQL

Post by Rathinagiri »

Thank you and I will enable CAPTCHA.
East or West HMG is the Best.
South or North HMG is worth.
...the possibilities are endless.
esgici
DBs Used: DBF

Post by esgici »

Hi Rathi
Some members had asked me through email, that, CAPTCHA code can not be seen in their system
This isn't like reasonable, why "not seen" ? If one is unreadable, must be possible invoking further code; at least user may cancel and that will re-enter membership page.

My vote is same as Grigory and Roberto. You must enable it.

Regards.

--

esgici
Viva INTERNATIONAL HMG :D
fchirico

Post by fchirico »

Like Grigory and Roberto, my opinion is the same.

Saludos, Fernando Chirico.
Saludos, Fernando Chirico.
Jan Ribeiro

Post by Jan Ribeiro »

Concordo plenamente.
Saludos, Jan
jortega

Post by jortega »

I agree
regards