GenInput

Utilities like DBU, Make, IDE written in HMG/ used to create HMG based applications

Moderator: Rathinagiri

Javier Tovar

Re: GenInput

Post by Javier Tovar »

Hello Gragancesu,

If, in the past week researching different programming languages out there, and one is Oracle. I would like to HMG had an IDE like Oracle, but I do not have even the ability to do something similar, so I have to settle for now with what is !.

There are also other languages that have a similar IDE.

regards
Pablo César

GenInput

Post by Pablo César »

I've not advanced much in this project due I found some difficulties and bug in GRID control.
There some new resource about ToolTips (vanishing, CustomDraw), Grid EditOption (like a mask when is empty display "Label in blank"), Moving MsgBox (correct MsgBoxes for custom position)...
Screen1.png
Screen1.png (172.14 KiB) Viewed 4204 times
I hope to start soon at next module "Define Controls" and enjoy it ! :D
Attachments
GenInput (Executable file).rar
(1.07 MiB) Downloaded 245 times
Gen_Input (source files).rar
(7.5 KiB) Downloaded 236 times
HMGing a better world
"Matter tells space how to curve, space tells matter how to move."
Albert Einstein
PeteWG

Post by PeteWG »

Hi Pablo,

In my humble opinion, you're wasting time, precisely, your time and the reader's time.
(please don't take this as negative criticism. it's an opinion based on experience -albeit it may be wrong, given that
reality tends to falsify our notions ;-))

At any rate, I'm convinced that code generators is an advertising finding, good to promote an integrated product
(the example that gave Dragan about Oracle, is a good one) but certainly not useful for real, stand-alone application development.

Maybe it would be more practical to think creating a bare-bone application skeleton, which could be used as a starting base
for any application. Subsequently, the hmg developer could take this skeleton and adapt it to their specific needs.
Such an application-skeleton could contain all the generic functionality needed by (almost) any application along with a good prepared (and continuously enriched) resources' repository, (icons, applicable code snipets/functions,good practice hints etc), all grouped in one place,
that would help saving a great amount of preparation time.

Suggestively, a bare-bone application should include:
- a main form with:
  • -- a generic menus structure,
    -- a toolbar,
    -- ready made modules such as
    --- database utilities
    --- back-up
    --- e-mail and internet acces
    --- system utilities access
    --- (put here everything you'd think it'd be useful)
Worth to said that most of the above 'materials' are already available through the countless hmg-examples, the challenge in question is
to put them selectively under an integrated, well structured and functional 'umbrella', that is, a bare-bone application as briefly described above.

Closing, I'd like to note that I respect your enthusiasm to create useful contributions and your intention to give 'creative motion'
to the forum. and that's the only motivation behind my post.

best regards and happy new year to all.

---
Pete
bpd2000

Post by bpd2000 »

PeteWG wrote:Worth to said that most of the above 'materials' are already available through the countless hmg-examples, the challenge in question is
to put them selectively under an integrated, well structured and functional 'umbrella', that is, a bare-bone application as briefly described above.
+1
BPD
Convert Dream into Reality through HMG
Pablo César

GenInput

Post by Pablo César »

Hi Pete, I thanks your POV, sincerity and gentleness in dealing with something that can get to be a bit harsh.

I will try (once again) to clarify that GenInput project it's a small, simply utility to make InputWindow more comprehensive and also practical in its confectioning. So, I do not considere this is a codes generator. This will facilitate for the routine generation for previous use of InputWindow function (only). So, even Dragan saying/stimulating for system codes generator, I have not intentions to do that. GenInput, it is still a code generator but... for InputWindow proposes.

I would like to make a simple question to you and please I'm advising you with that: I'm not trying to belittle your style of programming or your knowledge.

Have you used in your development, the function/facilities of InputWindow of HMG library already ?

I will tell you by my experience. I never used before. I did not know it... :oops: But in these last days I've I took existence Knowledge of InputWindow. I also get improvements in it and I'm happy to do it. Now in other small app "HMGVersion", I have applied the InputWindow for my first time and It was extremely easy to do it. I went to use something that already existed in our HMG library and was quick and easy.

I respect your POV and I agree in parts but I refuse when you said: "In my humble opinion, you're wasting time, precisely, your time and the reader's time. "

I will tell you Pete why I disagree with that. Because, I am taking my time to learn, I am expanding my knowledge of HMG and on programming itself. So, I'm not wasting time on the contrary: I am gaining knowledge ! :D

I also think the readers can always choose what it's for their interest and leaving for reading at any time.

I regret that I have passed this picture I'm doing an application generator and still feel criticized for doing something that is totally constructive. So I start with "I" as if I had to be explaining to me what I do or do to make ... sorry for that. :oops:

Any way I go forward, I wished to be clear with this small project and be happy. I do not hold any ill feeling (how I could ?) and want more complete this application with the intention of always are watching now on ! :D
HMGing a better world
Albert Einstein
dragancesu
DBs Used: DBF, MySQL, Oracle

Post by dragancesu »

Don't worry Pablo

Program that writes program (generators) thus is not easy to write, to an interesting topic, but I believe it will work

And if you need something to do? I think it should be. There is a lot of beginners who want to switch from Clipper to HMG, but it is not easy

It took me about 3 months until I figured out how everything works and how to start

I have a friend, a real good Clipper applications, and of course there is a problem with Windows, I showed him the hmg and he did not like, the result is nice but it's complicated to make. Program who was supposed to work on win 8 64-bit and decided on a compilation harbur

Long ago I watched as Visual Studio and Delphi how create progam that uses a database, nothing spectacular, has basic navigation and button for entering, deleting and storing data, and button exit, everything else should write

In this regard, we are HMG more like it may be written in any text editor and does not need a complicated tool for any coection in program

Otherwise, I learned long ago that the program writes as fast as the roll up their sleeves

Regads
Pablo César

GenInput

Post by Pablo César »

dragancesu wrote:Don't worry Pablo

Program that writes program (generators) thus is not easy to write, to an interesting topic, but I believe it will work...
Thank you Dragan and sure it will ! :D
dragancesu wrote:It took me about 3 months until I figured out how everything works and how to start
Wow, very quick !

Some rules that never fails...
  1. Recently I saw when we have GRIDs and specially in this situation:
    Screen2.png
    Screen2.png (2.06 KiB) Viewed 4114 times
    Because records of grid must be identify any way...
    In this case, I use first column holds a cNumber as index reference and it's hidden with column width 0. This is the trick.
  2. Second and is important one which seems nobody noted, is: when we have a button for "Save Project", must be another button with "Open Project"
    Screen1.png
    Screen1.png (30.71 KiB) Viewed 4114 times
Keeping informed...
HMGing a better world
Albert Einstein
quartz565

Post by quartz565 »

And if you need something to do? I think it should be. There is a lot of beginners who want to switch from Clipper to HMG, but it is not easy

It took me about 3 months until I figured out how everything works and how to start
++1

Continued Pablo Please..
Anything would help non-experts.. (as you understand I'm one of them.. :? ) are welcome :D
(Unless the forum only appeals to them... :?: )
Best Regards,
Nikos.

Pablo César

Post by Pablo César »

Thank you Nikos for your support. I know I can count with you. :)
HMGing a better world
Albert Einstein
bpd2000

Post by bpd2000 »

Continue with best regards
+1
BPD
Convert Dream into Reality through HMG